NHS Outreach Service
The Outreach Library and Information Service is for NHS staff working in the community in Staffordshire. We make it easier for you to access books, journals and electronic resources, and help you get the information you want, without the need to visit the Health Library. We provide a flexible service and are happy to come to your workplace to discuss your information needs and provide individual or group training sessions.
We support NHS staff working for our partner organisations at:
- North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare
- Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust
- Clinical Commissioning Groups and GP Services in Staffordshire, including:
- Cannock Chase
- East Staffordshire
- North Staffordshire
- South East Staffordshire and Seisdon Peninsula
- Stafford and Surrounds
- Stoke on Trent
We make it easier for you to access books, journals and electronic resources, and help you get the information you want, without the need to visit the Health Library. We are happy to come to your workplace to discuss your information needs.
We can support:
- Help with NHS OpenAthens registration and password resets
- Help accessing journal articles and other resources
- Organising small departmental or practice libraries
We can come to your workplace to provide individual or group training sessions.
- How to develop your own literature search and access resources
- Library induction sessions for various groups
- Library & Information Updates for team meetings
We provide a Literature Search Service, completing your searches and providing results with links to relevant articles.
Here are some examples of previously completed searches:
- nail surgery audits (for a podiatrist)
- skin tear classification schemes (for nurses)
- tariffs for children’s services (for commissioners)
- health benefits of swimming (for public health)
- steroids for COPD (for a community nurse)
- What are the cognitive effects of Keppra on patients?
- Information on psychological treatments or support for patients suffering from chronic headache
- Studies reporting on psychology or psycho-educational groups involving an expert patient or service user consultation,for patients suffering from Multiple Sclerosis or any other chronic condition
- The management and treatment of eating disorders in children or the elderly
- The effectiveness and outcomes of CBT in patients suffering from dysthymia
The Outreach team publish a number of current awareness bulletins.
Clinical Effectiveness Bulletin (Monthly) Produced for primary care staff in Staffordshire. This aims to draw attention to key documents, guidance and evidence-based reviews on clinical effectiveness. Sources used include: NHS Evidence ** Department of Health ** Cochrane Library ** King's Fund
Health Inequalities Bulletin (Bi-Monthly) Produced for primary care staff in Staffordshire Staffordshire. This aims to draw attention to key documents, guidance and evidence-based reviews on health inequalities. Sources used include: NHS Evidence ** Department of Health ** Cochrane Library ** King's Fund
Mental Health & Social Care Current Awareness Bulletin (Monthly) Produced by the Essex Public Health Resource Unit Library on behalf of the East of England Health Libraries Group (EoEHLG). This highlights the latest evidence published in the following specialist areas: social work ** anxiety ** dementia ** depression ** dual diagnosis ** eating disorders ** learning disabilities ** O/C disorders ** occupational therapy ** post-traumatic stress ** psychology ** schizophrenia. The bulletin also includes highlights of new publications, forthcoming conferences and useful websites.
Please contact the Outreach Librarians if you would like to be added to the email list for any of the bulletins.
For more information see your local intranet: