Support for Nursing / Healthcare assistants
At the Library
- Join the Library - this will allow you to use many of out facilities, services and resources.
- Study area - anyone can come in and use the study areas. We are a relatively quiet library and have a silent study room for those who need it.
- IT facilities - we provide access to computers on both the NHS and Keele networks. You can log in to NHS computers with your work login. There are also printing, scanning and photocopying facilities. Wifi is available throughout the library.
Register for your NHS OpenAthens username
- Borrowing books - by joining the library you can borrow our specialist healthcare books. Ebooks that you can read online are also available.
- Search Library Search - for books available at the Health Library
- Search the NHS Knowledge and Library Hub - search across NHS resources for ebooks and articles. Check the Hub for your organisation: UHNM, North Staffordshire Combined Health and GP practices in Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent
- British Journal of Healthcare Assistants - easy to read articles supporting the work of healthcare assistants (UHNM only, sign-in via openathens to access full-text).
- Royal Marsden Online - online version of the Royal Marsden clinical procedures and guidelines (login with openathens to access full-text).
- Healthcare Support Workers' Handbook - a suite of resources from the e-Learning for Healthcare Hub (eLfH). This is also available on the NHS ESR. You can log in to the eLfH via OpenAthens from the login page
- RCNi Journals - nursing specialist journals available to staff working at UHNM and North Staffordshire Healthcare, via OpenAthens login
- Evidently Cochrane - blog highlighting key evidence recently published
- Articles for the NHS - check for full-text of an article
- More healthcare resources
Training and support
- Attend training sessions - you can book onto one of our training sessions to learn how to use our resources or update your research skills.
- Book your first training session to learn how to use the NHS Knowledge and Library Hub.
- Develop your information skills and learn how to search for information effectively by completing our online tutorials.
- You can also keep up-to-date with issues about resources via our Information Skills for Health blog.
- Check the e-Learning for Healthcare Hub (eLfH) for courses on health-related topics
Try these online tutorials
- Learn more about the Health Library and the resources you can use by completing the online tutorials below:
- Using the Health Library
- Check Your Skills
- Identify Your Question
- Select the Right Resource
- Using a Book
- Using eBooks
- What is an Article?
- Finding Good Stuff on the Internet
- Evaluating Information on the Internet