Foundation year at Keele
Studying a foundation year – for whatever reason – offers an alternative route to Keele, a highly-rated university, and provides a unique opportunity to better prepare for your chosen degree. That extra year of study will improve your academic skills, expand your subject knowledge and, perhaps most important of all, build your confidence. Our Foundation Year students often outperform their classmates.
Who studies a foundation year?
There are lots of valid reasons why you may be considering a Keele Foundation Year. If you:
- Don’t have the grades for direct entry at degree level;
- Are returning to education following a break;
- Are returning to education as a mature student;
- Wish to study a new subject you have no prior knowledge of; or are
- Simply unsure about whether to commit to three years of full-time study and want to get a feel for what university study and life might be like upfront
Why study a foundation year at Keele?
Consistently ranked among the top universities for student satisfaction, we have over 70 years’ experience of teaching a foundation year to students. On the Keele Foundation Year, you’ll study on campus, joining our community from the outset and being taught by our own academics. There are many benefits to studying a foundation year, which is why our Keele Foundation Year students often outperform their classmates – many go on to gain a first class or upper second class honours degree. These include:
- The Foundation Year offers September starts across all subjects, and January starts across all *science, humanities, social sciences and business routes.
- On meeting the progression requirements of the Foundation Year you will earn a guaranteed place on your chosen degree course of choice at Keele.
- Excellent preparation for degree-level study and success – you’ll learn the academic and personal skills to help you settle in quickly.
- You’ll be fully integrated into university life and the student community from day one.
- For international students, a foundation year will familiarise you with UK culture, our style of education and help you meet the UK qualification levels required to enrol on your desired degree.
- You’ll receive outstanding support from your Personal Tutor, teaching team and wider University, who will all do their best to ensure you reach your full potential.
- You’ll experience our beautiful 600-acre campus with its excellent facilities and resources.
*We do not offer a January intake for the Veterinary Medicine and Surgery degree with Foundation Year and other health-related Foundation Year degrees.
Discover the Foundation Year
Catherine Dorrian - Student Life Talk
Facts and Figures
Top 3 in England for overall Student Satisfaction NSS 2019 (Broard-based universities)
Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework Also Top 5 in the UK (THE ranking, board-based universities)
96% graduate employability HESA - Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education 2017
Joint 1st in England for student satisfaction with course Guardian University League Table, 2019
1st for affordability Marbles.com, 2019
Global top 25 for campus sustainability UI Green Metric ranking, 2020