Our Gold Award in the Teaching Excellence Framework
Keele University has been awarded the highest rating of Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) 2023, maintaining the Gold standard that we achieved in the previous exercise in 2017.
Keele is one of only 15 broad-based universities in the UK to have been awarded Gold in both the 2017 and 2023 Teaching Excellence Framework exercises.
The overall Gold rating, which Keele will hold for the next four years, signifies that the student experience and student outcomes at Keele are typically outstanding for all students and across all subjects and courses.
The TEF is a national scheme run by the Office for Students (OfS) that aims to encourage universities and colleges to improve and deliver excellent teaching, learning, and student outcomes. The assessment was carried out by a TEF panel of academics and students who are experts in learning and teaching.
Typically, the experience students have at Keele and the outcomes it leads to are outstanding, and have been rated Gold overall.
Outstanding quality features identified by the TEF panel including:
- teaching, feedback and assessment practices are highly effective and tailored to supporting students’ learning, progression, and attainment
- course content and delivery inspire students to actively engage in and commit to their learning, and stretch students to their fullest potential
- support for staff professional development, with excellent academic practice embedded across Keele
- a supportive learning environment, where students have access to a wide and readily available range of outstanding quality academic support tailored to their needs
- engagement with students that is embedded, leading to improvements to their experiences and outcomes.
There are also two very high quality features:
- use of research in relevant disciplines, innovation, scholarship professional practice and/or employer engagement contribute to a very high quality academic experience for students
- physical and virtual learning resources that are tailored and used effectively to support outstanding teaching and learning.
Student outcomes are typically very high quality, with significant pockets of outstanding quality. Very high quality features include:
- rates of continuation and completion for students and courses
- rates of successful progression for students and courses
- articulation of the educational gains the university intends its students to achieve, and why these are relevant to its students
- evaluation of the gains made by students.
There are also some outstanding quality features including:
- tailored approaches that are highly effective in ensuring students succeed in and progress beyond their studies
- approaches to supporting students to achieve educational gains that are evidence-based, highly effective and tailored to students and their different starting points.