Living off campus

Our accommodation team are happy to offer assistance and advice when it comes to choosing an off-campus solution for your student accommodation.

Check out our handy House Hunting Guide for more advice!

When living off campus we strongly recommend that you choose properties advertised on the Keele University Studentpad website. All properties advertised are owned by reputable, accredited landlords. We cannot vouch for any landlords or properties not listed on Studentpad.

Living off campus for the first time can sometimes feel daunting, so we have put together our House Hunting guide to give you some helpful hints and tips. In the middle of the booklet you will find useful checklists that will help you when looking for off campus accommodation.

Properties advertised on our Studentpad site need to meet a list of minimum standards. These include:

Our website is regularly updated and you can register on My Studentpad to get news of new properties as they are added. 

You can search for private student housing, student flats and halls of residence, 24/7 365 days a year from anywhere in the world.

Using the Keele University Studentpad website you can:

  • register to receive notifications of newly listed properties
  • look at photos of the property (where available)
  • watch a video walkthrough of the property (where available)
  • check property locations on a map (including local amenities)
  • use the messageboard to find housemates
  • find out which tenancy deposit scheme landlords use
  • view a contract for the property (where available)

The Student Accommodation Team can help with information on:

  • the local area
  • bus routes
  • what to look for when you view a property
  • what to do if you have a problem with your rented property

Rents in the local area are amongst the cheapest in the country. They vary depending on the property and facilities available.  Property rents can range from £80-£140* per week in Newcastle Under Lyme.  The average rent with utility bills included is £92*. 

*Prices correct as of April 2022.

Remember that all accommodation contracts (once accepted) are legally binding whether with the University or a private landlord or provider. If you do sign a contract with a private landlord and subsequently withdraw or take a leave of absence from University, you will probably be liable for fees for the whole contract term.

Private contracts are between you and the landlord and the university has no liability in these matters.

ASK in the Students' Union offers a contract checking service.

ASK in the Students' Union runs an annual Housing Fair (usually on 31 January) where they invite accredited landlords to the Union.  They can also offer help and advise on renting, and can check your contract before you sign it.