Council tax exemption

Council tax is a 'local tax' in the UK, although in Northern Ireland the equivalent tax to council tax is called rates. The money collected through these property taxes goes to local authorities (councils) to pay for local services such as maintaining parks, collecting rubbish, policing and personalised care.

Full-time students are exempt from paying council tax and we provide a list of all students to Newcastle Borough Council, Stoke City Council and Cheshire East Council, so if you live in any of those areas you should not have to worry. Students living in areas not covered by any of these three Councils can obtain a status letter from e:Vision. If you experience any problems please contact the Student Records Office.

When you course ends

As soon as you reach the official end date of your course you will be classed as an adult for council tax purposes and will no longer be exempt as a student.  Also, if you start to live in the property before your course starts, you may be charged council tax for that period.

Should you withdraw and vacate your accommodation before the end of the occupancy period, you will also be liable for council tax.