Studying abroad for Keele students

Studying abroad is an excellent opportunity to broaden your horizons and enhance your CV once you have graduated. Here you can find our accommodation options to cater to the different patterns of studying abroad.

  • We email all students to apply for accommodation for the following academic year in December and January, please ignore these emails - you should not apply at this time.
  • If you would like accommodation on your return from Semester Abroad email the Student Accommodation Team while you are away (in Novemeber) to check on campus availability.
  • We will do everything we can, to secure university accommodation for you, but this is subject to availability.  There is no need to panic – there are usually rooms available, but if not, there is an abundance of privately owned accommodation in the local area and the Student Accommodation Team are on hand to assist with this. We also have our own website for private landlords.
  • You can apply for University accommodation for your 1st semester. You should do this in January for the following academic year and we will notify you by email to tell you how to apply.
  • When you complete the on-line application you should choose 1st semester only on page one of the application.
  • You do not need to apply for University accommodation if you are studying abroad for the whole year.  However if you are‌ unsure or waiting to see if Study Abroad is possible, we recommend that you wait and submit a late application once you know if you have not been successful.  While we could not guarantee that we would have anything to offer you on campus, later in the summer we normally get a number of withdrawals and LOA so have to fill these spaces.  If it is that we are not able to offer on campus there is a surplus of off campus accommodation so you would not be left with no accommodation.
  • Alternatively you could apply when the applications open.  Once you have accepted the offer you only have a 7 day cooling off period, once this period has gone you would remain liable for the full accommodation fees even if you went on study abroad. You would therefore have to find a suitable replacement to take over your contract.
  • Accommodation applications for the year following your year abroad will take place in the January while you are away.  We start emailing with information on this in December - keep an eye on your Keele email account.