Accessing articles, e-journals and ebooks off-campus
Where you see or hear details about off-campus access and authentication for library resources it is usually referring to the steps required to ‘Login’ to the resource (article, ejournal, ebook, etc.).
However, the login steps often vary slightly from each publisher. At the Library we try to make each login as similar as possible and below is a general guide to some of the more common login steps required:
- Check that Keele University Library has access to the relevant article, ejournal or ebook via Library Search or reading list etc. * if you sign into Library Search it will make the ejournal login even easier.
- Choose one of the full-text options - if the article is available from more than one provider, you will be offered a choice.
- When accessing the article via Library Search, you’ll only have to login once using your Keele login (or not at all if you are already signed into Library Search)
- However, sometimes you will be taken directly to the journal article page and need to sign-in using the journal login link. This can vary but in general click on ‘Login/Sign-in’ and always choose ‘Institutional’ or ‘Shibboleth’ login. Ignore generic password boxes and don't choose ‘OpenAthens’ – example below:
- If required select: UK Federation/Higher Education from the options provided.
- Then select: Keele University
- You should now be presented with the standard Keele login box. Login and look for the pdf icon or full-text link to access the article.
- Watch these short videos to help with off campus logins to our resources
- Still not working? Send details of the article you're trying to access to email@example.com or the Library Eresources Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org – if you can include details of the article, a screenshot of the error and the problems you had, it'll help us to resolve any problem quickly.
NHS Athens accounts
NHS Athens accounts are provided via the Health Library and are only available to NHS staff.