Databases are searchable online resources which allow you to use keywords, authors and subjects to find references.
Databases may be dedicated to a single subject or cover several subjects. Each offer a different range of journals. Your search results contain citation information and often an abstract.
Use the "full-text" links to view articles online. If the full text is not accessible check Library Search for electronic or print availability.
We may not have access to all the references online. Items not available can be obtained through the Inter Library Loans service.
EBSCO includes Academic Search Complete and Business Source Complete, which provide full-text, indexing and abstracts for several thousand journals.
EBSCO provides major databases indexing literature (principally journal articles) in other areas, some of which include some full-text. These include: AMED (Alternative & Complementary Medicine), CINAHLPlus with full-text, EconLit, MEDLINE, PsycINFO, SPORTDiscus with full-text, and others. It also contains ebooks - Useful titles can be found using Library Search.
The ProQuest platform provides access to a large number of bibliographic and full-text databases across a wide array of subject areas.
The ProQuest Natural Science Collection provides access to the following, many with full-text available:
- Agricultural & Environmental Science Collection - including AGRICOLA, Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management, and Environmental Impact Statement databases.
- Aquatic Science Collection - including Aqualine, Aquatic Sciences & Fisheries Abstracts, and Oceanic Abstracts databases.
- Atmospheric Science Collection - including Meteorological & Geoastrophysical Abstracts database
- Biological Science Collection - including Biological Sciences, MEDLINE, and TOXLINE databases
- Earth and Environmental Sciences Collection - including GeoRef, Environment Abstracts, Sustainability Science Abstracts, and Environmental Impact Statements databases
The ProQuest Social Sciences Premium Collection includes access to the following databases, many of these also contain full-text:
- Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts (ASSIA)
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS)
- Sociological Abstracts
- plus databases for Criminal Justice; Education; Political Science; Social Science and Sociology
Other major databases within ProQuest include the Humanities Index, Physical Education Index and the MLA International Bibliography and the European Newsstream newspapers service is also accessible via ProQuest.
Please note, changes to the login system may result in separate personalised alerts and profiles maintained by the resource suppliers not being available, please remember to always backup any saved references or search alerts. See the news item for more details
Web of Science is a multidisciplinary database covering science, social sciences and arts and humanities. It offers access to research tools like citation reports and cited reference searching, and personalised features such as saved searches and alerts.
The Web of Science Core Collection contains access to the following:
- Science Citation Index Expanded (1970-present)
- Social Sciences Citation Index (1970-present)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1975-present)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Science (1990-present)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Social Science & Humanities (1990-present)
- Book Citation Index– Science (2005-present)
- Book Citation Index– Social Sciences & Humanities (2005-present)
- Other databases within Web of Science include: Biosis Citation Index, Biosis Previews, Data Citation Index and MEDLINE.