The fortunes of the Paget family were founded by William, First Lord Paget, a chief minister of the mid-Tudor period. Initially the family lived in Staffordshire at Beaudesert, later moving to Plas Newydd, Wales, where they now reside as the Marquesses of Anglesey.
The Paget Papers at Keele date from 1502 to 1630 and comprise approximately 600 manuscript letters, mostly relating to Tudor political and diplomatic affairs, but also some personal and estate matters. Of particular note are the papers relating to the marriage of Prince Arthur to Catherine of Aragon, a signet stamp of Henry VIII, a letter of William Byrd, and letters from Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester.
The papers are on deposit from the Marquis of Anglesey and there are no restrictions on access. Some are in Latin. A list is available upon request.