Keele University launches £1m scholarship scheme to support refugees
Keele University has launched a new scholarship scheme in response to the Ukraine crisis, which will provide over £1m in financial support to refugees or those with similar status in the UK.
Article 26 of the Declaration of Human Rights states that "everyone has the right to education", and Keele University is committed to supporting students from all backgrounds to access higher education and provide scholarships for asylum seekers and forced migrants who are seeking sanctuary in the UK.
As such, up to ten of Keele’s Article 26 Sanctuary Scholarships will now be available – for September 2022 entry – at both undergraduate and postgraduate taught level.
Support and funding from the University for these ten refugees will include:
- A full tuition fee waiver for all years of study (up to four years)
- Provision of on-campus accommodation at no cost for the duration of their course
- A cash bursary of £400 per month of study
- An additional award of £250 each year loaded onto the student’s Keele card
To be eligible for the scheme, applicants must fall into one of the following immigration status groups, and be unable to access standard UK government funding because of their current immigration status:
- An asylum seeker – a person who has made a claim with the UK for refugee status
- A person who has been granted some form of temporary status – such as limited leave to remain
- Dependants or partners of any of the above status groups, whose claim is dependent on a principal applicant
This additional £1m scholarship funding package forms part of Keele’s institutional response to the crisis in Ukraine, however students of all nationalities are welcome to apply.
All applicants are required to be in possession of an offer of study from Keele University and must be able to provide evidence of their status under one of the above categories.
To apply, please visit keele.ac.uk/article-26.
- New report reveals scale of Keele University's economic contribution to region
- Keele establishes new independent investment company with regional university partners
- Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust awarded University Trust status
- Keele-developed training tool commissioned by NHS
- Joint Education Institute approved with leading Chinese university
Media Relations Manager
+44 1782 733857
Senior Communications Officer
+44 1782 734925
+44 7775 033274
Strategic Communications and Brand firstname.lastname@example.org.