'Geosystems' research in Geology / Geoscience combines expertise in geophysics, petrology, volcanology, sedimentology, structural geology and palaeontology.
It draws together experts from three internationally recognised research groups:
- Applied and Environmental Geophysics Research Group
- Basin Dynamics Research Group
- Keele Petrology Group
The Applied and Environmental Geophysics Research Group focuses on the application of geophysical techniques to engineering, environmental and archaeological problems.
Research by the Basin Dynamics Research Group ranges from sedimentary basins, their controls, fill, and subsequent deformation and inversion, to petroleum geoscience, palaeoecology and biogeography.
The Keele Petrology Group studies modern and ancient igneous (and metamorphic) systems, using a wide range of field, geochemical, isotopic, and quantitative textural techniques.
Our research is supported by the Research Councils UK, charities, as well as European and Industrial sponsors. The Basin Dynamics Research Group is a member of the NERC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Oil and Gas.
- Forensic geophysics (Dr Jamie Pringle)
- Archaeological and military geoscience (Dr Jamie Pringle)
- Structural geology, basin modelling & petroleum-related research (Dr Stuart Clarke, Dr Stuart Egan)
- Palaeontology (Dr Michael Montenari)
- Igneous petrology and volcanology (Dr Ralf Gertisser)
- Igneous and metamorphic petrology (Dr Ralf Halama)