Ruth has worked in Higher Education for around 20 years, supporting Health Science and Public Health, Primary Care, and Continuing Professional (Nursing) Development as well as Pre-Registration Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses. She has Course Leader experience, in PGCertEd, Health Studies/Health Promotion and Nursing, and is motivated to support good quality educational provision for students. She holds a Senior Fellow qualification with the Higher Education Academy.
Ruth’s clinical background includes acute Coronary Care, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Workforce Development and Commissioning. She was CVD lead for a national primary care training organisation and is used to supporting multidisciplinary learning.
Ruth describes herself as being approachable, and motivated; always pleased to meet and work with new people to make a positive difference for others.
Ruth's main teaching areas are Research Methodology, Health Promotion, Public Health & Nursing Theory.
Ruth is hoping to pick her own PhD studies back up at Keele, and has an interest in supporting an area of practice in End of Life care.
- Westerby R (2006 & 2007) Using the CHD Competence Framework in Primary Care; 2 case studies looking at the use of the Framework with Leisure staff and Health Development Workers www.skillsforhealth.org.uk
- Marshall TM, et al (including Westerby R) 2008 The Sandwell Project: A controlled evaluation of a programme of targeted screening for prevention of cardiovascular disease in primary care BMC Public Health 25th February 2008 8:73
- Westerby R & Fletcher M (2010) Training people to undertake CVD Risk Assessment: an evaluation from Education for Health. Poster presentation at the Primary Care Cardiovascular Society Annual Conference (September 2010) (Also accepted for the RCN Education conference as a poster presentation - February 22nd 2012)
- Westerby R. Cardiovascular risk assessment and risk management. Practice Nurse 8th October 2010; 40(6):43-9
- Westerby R. Are you ready for Health Checks? October 2010 http://health.alprosoya.co.uk/nutrition-news/nutrition-in-practice.html
- Westerby R & Cottrell C. An update on atrial fibrillation. Practice Nurse January 2011; 41(5): 37-43
- Westerby R. Stroke and TIA. Practice Nurse 12th August 2011
- Westerby R & Howard S. Dementia; early recognition and diagnosis in primary care. Practice Nurse Oct 7th 2011
- Howard S & Westerby R. Dementia; ongoing management. Practice Nurse October 21st 2011
- Westerby R. An overview of cardiovascular disease risk assessment. Nursing Standard November 30th 2011 Volume 26 No.13
- Westerby R (2012) “Patient Reported Outcome Measures: how useful are they in practice?” Practice Nurse 15/6/2012
- Westerby, R. (2013) Psychosocial aspects of ageing. Practice Nurse [online], 43(4),
- Westerby R & Moran J (2014) “Why more people die in winter.” Practice Nurse 11/14/2014, Vol. 44 Issue 11, p31
Ruth has supervised Undergraduate and Masters Level Dissertations for 20 years.
Admissions: +44 (0) 1782 738200
The Clinical Education Centre
Clinical Education Centre
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust
Stoke on Trent
The David Weatherall Building