I am Associate Professor in Accounting at Keele Business School, Keele University. My PhD was on “Assessing the Quality of UK Corporate Environmental Reporting” from the University of Aberdeen. My teaching interests are:
- Accounting for Sustainability
- Financial Accounting
- Corporate Governance and CSR
- Financial Management
- Financial Decision Making, and
- Research Methods.
My publications appear in top accounting and business journals such as Journal of Business Ethics, Business Strategy, and the Environment, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, International Journal of Accounting, European Accounting Review, Accounting Education, etc.
Research and scholarship
My principal research interests are in the areas of governance and sustainability accounting, Islamic accounting, the quality of corporate reporting, and accounting education.
I am very interested in supervising students in the fields of accounting for sustainability/CSR, corporate governance and disclosure and firm performance, religious beliefs and managers CSR attitudes and behaviour, accounting education. In particular, I am keen on conducting research on corporations’ strategies to achieve the UN SDGs and mitigate the catastrophic consequences of their business operations on the environment, etc.
As a member of the Economics, Accounting and Finance Group at Keele Business School, I am currently leading and teaching the following modules:
- MAN-40092 Financial Management to MBA senior leaders
- ACC 40005 International Corporate Governance and Sustainability to MSc students
- HRM 40040 Research Methods to MSc students
- MAN 40076 Accounting Dissertation to MSc students
- MAN 20082 Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility to undergraduate students (Keele and BFSU China Campuses)
Qualifications and Memberships
- 2020 - 2021 Qualified CIMA Member (In progress). The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, London, UK.
- 2015 - 2016 MA Teaching & Learning in HE (w/Merit), Keele University, UK.
- 2014 - 2015 PG Cert Teaching & Learning with Technology in HE, Keele University, UK.
- 2012 - 2013 PG Cert Teaching & Learning in HE, Keele University, UK.
- 2008 - 2012 PhD in Accountancy & Finance, University of Aberdeen Business School, UK.
- 2007 - 2008 MRes in Accounting (w/Distinction), University of Aberdeen, UK.
- 1997 - 2001 B. Com Lecturer in Accounting (w/Honour) Alexandria University, Egypt.
Professional and Learned Bodies Memberships:
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Member, Academy of Management
- Member, Centre of Social and Environmental Accounting Research (CSEAR)
- Member, the Social Responsibility Research Network (SRRNet)
- Member, the British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA)
- Member, the European Accounting Association (EAA)
- Member, Arabia Corporate Social Responsibility Network
- Member, Corporate Social Responsibility Middle East Network
Keele Business School
Denise Coates Foundation Building
Tel: +44 (0) 1782 733430
KBS accreditation enquiries: