Postgraduate research entry requirements
Before submitting an application to undertake a research degree at Keele, you are advised to contact the relevant Research Office. This will allow you to discuss your research proposal, available supervision and the entry requirements of the research degree.
- Before applying, you are advised to contact the relevant postgraduate administrator. Our dedicated postgraduate support staff can provide information on potential supervisors and any course-specific entry requirements you need to consider before applying.
- Qualifications - our research degrees usually require an Honours degree with a first or 2.1 classifications, or the equivalent if you have been educated outside the UK (See here for international equivalent guidelines - found here >). Any other academic and/or professional qualifications you may have are also considered, and in some cases form an integral part of the entrance requirement.
- Non-standard qualifications – if your qualifications are non-standard or different from the entry requirements stated, please contact the relevant course administrator, to discuss whether your application would be considered.
- Experience – entry on to many degrees is highly competitive; consequently, we also consider industrial experience as well as the skills, attributes, motivation and potential for success of an individual when deciding whether to make an offer
- Entry on to many programmes is highly competitive; consequently we also consider the skills, attributes, motivation and potential for success of an individual when deciding whether to make an offer
- After we have received your application you may, if you live in the UK, be invited for an interview or to visit us to discuss your application
- For Management subject areas all candidates must provide a statement as to how the proposed research fits within the research interests of the staff at Keele. This must be provided before applications are considered
In addition to academic qualifications, you may be required to produce evidence of your English language ability. This is because in order to benefit from your studies, you need to demonstrate that you have a good level of written and spoken English before taking up a place here.
English language requirements: IELTS
|Science (with the exception of Psychology) and Pharmacy||6.0 with no less than 5.5 in any subtest|
|Humanities, Music Technology||6.0 with no less than 5.5 in any subtest|
Business, Health Sciences, Humanities (including Music), Public Policy andSocial Sciences (including Psychology),Medicine and Physiotherapy
|6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any subtest|
|Education and Law||7.0 with no less than 6.5 in any subtest|
If you do not have current documentation of the required level of English language you must either retake your language test (IELTS) or attend and successfully complete a pre-sessional (summer) English course before the start of your postgraduate studies.
Keele University runs 11 and 6 week pre-sessional Academic English courses online and face to face.
If you require a Visa to study at Keele and undertake a Pre-Sessional English course, you may be eligible for a Visa to cover both the pre-sessional (11 or 6 week only) and Degree course, on the basis of you achieving the required language competencies by the end of the pre-sessional course, but will be withdrawn if you fail to satisfactory progress to the equivalent level of English required. For more information please visit keele.ac.uk/visa.
All Visas to study in the UK are subject to the rules and requirements of the UK Home Office Visas & Immigration (UKVI) and the supporting (sponsoring) institution.
When you start your studies at Keele, we can assess your English language standard and recommend language modules for you to take as part of your degree course. You do not pay any additional fees for these. You can also speak to staff in the Language Centre
Facts and Figures
97% of our research is classed as world-leading, or of international importance. REF 2014
96% graduate employability HESA destinations of leavers in Higher Education 2017
93% of our international postgraduate research students reported overall satisfaction PRES 2019
1st for affordability Marbles.com