I joined as a Lecturer in International Relations at the School of Social, Political and Global Studies in 2021. Prior to joining Keele, I was a Research Fellow with the Political Settlements Research Programme at the University of Edinburgh. I obtained my PhD in International Relations from the University of Edinburgh in 2020. My primary research interests include peace processes, international interventions in fragile and conflict-affected states, rising powers engagement in the global governance of peace and security, and foreign policies of India and China. I have conducted research in China, India, Myanmar and Nepal. Previously I have worked at London-based FIA Foundation, Edinburgh and Lothian Regional Equality Council in Edinburgh, and at The Asia Foundation in Nepal. I was a Fellow at New Delhi based Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) in 2012.
- Adhikari M. 2020. Breaking the Balance? The Impact of Peacekeeping Deployments on Civil–Military Relations, International Peacekeeping, 27 (3): 369-394
- Adhikari M. 2018. India in South Asia: Interaction with liberal peacebuilding projects, India Quarterly, 74(2):160–178
- Adhikari, M. 2014. Politics and Perception of Indian aid to Nepal, Strategic Analysis, 38 (3): 325-340.
- Adhikari, M. (Accepted/forthcoming, 2021). Peacebuilding with ‘Chinese Characteristics’? Insights from China's engagement in Myanmar's peace process (DOI: viab039), International Studies Review
Bell, Christine, Monalisa Adhikari, Sanja Badanjak, Juline Beaujouan, Margherita Distrotti, Tim Epple, Robert Forster, Robert Wilson, and Laura Wise (2020). PA-X Local Peace Agreements Database and Dataset, Version 1. www.peaceagreements.org/lsearch March 25, 2020
- Responding to Covid-19: The coming of age of regionalism in Asia? Political Settlement Research Programme blog, June 4, 2020
- Ending the Political Transition? Analysing the Nepal elections from an inclusion perspective, Political Settlement Research Programme blog, January 18, 2018
- Myanmar’s Twin Transitions: Challenges and Choices, Political Settlement Research Programme blog, August 31, 2017.
- China’s Role in Myanmar, 2021. Spotlight, PRIF, Germany