About the area
Keele University is ideally situated right by a bustling university town, Newcastle-under-Lyme, and minutes away from the ever-developing city of Stoke-on-Trent. With so much on offer locally you’ll be spoilt for choice. You will get to enjoy the benefits of both a campus community, and an exciting town and city to explore.
5 minutes by car / 15 minutes by bus.
The closest town to campus offers a student-friendly high street, modern shopping area, four big supermarkets within walking distance of the bus station, and a market four times a week selling everything from fruit to furniture.
The centre of town boasts an eight screen Vue cinema, bowling and entertainment complex, plus plenty of restaurants, bars and pubs. Close to the centre are the Jubilee2 swimming pool and sport centre, and the New Vic Theatre.
10 minutes by car/ 40 minutes by bus.
Stoke-on-Trent is a unique City affectionately known as The Potteries. With its rich industrial heritage and history, Stoke-on-Trent has respectfully claimed the title of World Capital of Ceramics.
Great for shopping, culture and nightlife, Stoke-on-Trent has a newly expanded Intu Shopping Centre, with over 90 high-street stores, traditional market, Cineworld and food and drinks outlets. The Cultural Quarter is a hub of creative and entertainment venues and two theatres.
The Sugarmill is great for live music and Victoria Hall is popular on the comedy circuit. The Potteries Museum is home to the famous Staffordshire Hoard and a short bus ride away are the Bet365 Stadium, where you can watch Premier League football at Stoke City, or Festival Park for the latest films, bowling, ski slope and other shops and outlets.
Under 30 minutes away
- The Peak District National Park offers spectacular climbing and walking. 30 minutes from Keele by bus or car.
- Flip Out is a new indoor trampoline playground for grown- ups (and children), it’s just 25 minutes away from Keele by car.
- The Trentham Estate is one of Britain’s top visitor destinations, with 725 acres of award-winning gardens, a monkey forest, a high-ropes adventure course and a beautiful shopping village. 20 minutes from Keele by bus.
About an hour away
- Chester Zoo, the most-visited attraction in the UK outside of London, is home to 7,000 animals. An hour from Keele by car.
- Alton Towers is a major theme park with thrilling rides and water park. Under an hour by bus from Newcastle.
- Tamworth SnowDome is an exhilarating indoor ski slope with artificial snow. An hour from Keele by car.
- Drayton Manor is a theme park with its own zoo featuring 100 species from birds of prey to big cats. An hour from Keele by car.
- The Trafford Centre, Manchester, has a Sealife Centre and Legoland, as well as 200 stores and 60 restaurants. 50 minutes from Keele by car.
- Cannock Chase offers challenging mountain biking and stunning walks. 40 minutes from Keele by car