Health services

Whilst at University it is important to look after your health. To do this, it's important to get the right balance between your lifestyle, work and study.

In case of emergency dial 999 or if it is not life threatening, visit the Royal Stoke University Hospital.

If you have a health problem contact your GP or NHS Direct for advice.

Registering with a GP

Photo of the Keele Practice in Horwood

For all students in private accommodation, if you live within close proximity to the University, register with the Keele Practice. Alternatively you can find your closest GP surgery at NHS Choices.

Further information about the health centre's access is available from AccessAble.

Questions to expect

  • your name and address
  • your date of birth
  • your NHS number (if you know it)
  • other information, such as the name and address of your previous GP
  • your views on organ donation

Some GP surgeries will also ask to see proof of your identity. For example:

  • photo identity, such as your passport or driving licence
  • proof of your address, such as a recent council tax bill or utility bill (a gas, electricity, water or phone bill, but not a mobile phone bill)

International Students

All students are entitled to free emergency treatment however, if you have a four month visa you cannot register with the Health Centre and need to ensure you have adequate healthcare insurance for payment if you need non-emergency treatment.

If your visa is for 6 or more months then you can access free medical care by registering at a practice local to you.


Accessibility information for the Health Centre can be found on its AccessAble page.