My first degree was in Sociology and Psychology and my PhD in the Sociology of Education. I worked as a research fellow on the ESRC funded 'Changing Teaching and Managerial Cultures in Further Education' project before taking up a lectureship in education at Keele in 1999. I was promoted to senior lecturer in 2004 and to professor in 2013.
My past work includes teaching sociology at A level – I taught for six years at Newcastle-under-Lyme college of FE. I have also worked in the voluntary sector for Victim Support in London.
Research and scholarship
- Sociology of education
- Educational inequalities and identities- race, gender, class
- Education policy and politics
- Leadership and management of education
- Muslim girls’ narrative accounts of past, present and future lives. Leverhulme Trust funded
- Strategies for Raising Attainment at KS1 – Stoke Primary Schools Project (PI) Stoke city council funded (PI, with Prof Steve Cropper and Dr Ruth Dann) Project Website
- Children’s understanding of peak oil (PI) British Academy funded (PI, with Prof Bulent Gokay) - Project Website
I am an Executive Editor of British Journal of Sociology of Education and I am/have also been on the Editorial boards of the following journals:
I welcome applications for PGR study and/or collaborative work on any area connected to my research.
Successful doctoral completions:
2019 Tracey Wire 'Sex education in primary schools'
- 2018 Maria Neary ‘Inhabiting a woman’s world: Male General Nurses in Ireland’
- 2017 Nadena Doharty PhD Education ‘Black History Month and Black History in the National Curriculum in the UK’ full time (Faculty Studentship)
- 2017 Samira Nicholas 'The relationship between technology integration and the development of global citizenship skills and attitudes in a Lebanese context'
- 2016 Jennifer Wells ‘Boys literacy and learning in primary education’
- 2016 Andrew Middleton 'An investigation into decision making within secondary schools on Information and Communications Technology inside the same Northern County of England'
- 2015 Sian Edwards (funded) ‘Problematic Youth': An ethnographic study of working class culture at 'home' and within a Pupil Referral Unit'
- 2015 Emrah Celik 'Between Religion and secularization: an ethnographic study of Turkish University Students'
- 2014 Mary Furey 'Managing ‘at-risk’ students: investigating the role of personal tutors in the delivery of pastoral care in further education'
- 2012 Tom O’Connor ‘Men in the nursing profession: masculinities and gendered identities’
- 2010 Mary Bradshaw 'Women managers' perspectives on the further education maelstrom '
- 2010 Hazel Mackey 'The narrative construction of professional identities: the case of occupational therapy'
- 2010 Virgina Fisher 'Double, double toil and (GENDER) trouble' a feminist ethnography of the performance of gender and sexuality within a business school'
- 2006 Julie Harrower 'New managerialism, women managers in the academy, and the regulation of the gendered identities: a case study of a 'new' university'
- 2016 Hefin Gwylim ‘The declared political identity of social workers in a neoliberal era’ DSW, Keele University
- 2013 Kay Norman ' Year 11 pupils’ perceptions of nursing: an exploratory study'
- 2012 Francis Farrell ‘Encountering Difference’: a study of adolescent males’ masculine identity work and its relationship to secondary age phase religious education’
- 2006 Ruby Green ‘A feminist ethnographic study of the socio-cultural factors that influence sex education in Guyana’
- 2003 Gillian Forrester ‘Primary Teachers and Performance Related Pay’
Current doctoral students (as lead supervisor):
- Sadhia Shahab 'The Prevent duty in Education'.
- Tracey Wire 'Sex education in primary schools' – part time
- Harjinder Kaur- Aujla 'Domestic Violence and Mental Health'
EdD (all part time)
- Theo Tambi ‘The educational experiences of black West Africans in UK schools
- Maria Neary ‘Inhabiting a woman’s world: Male General Nurses in Ireland’
- Joanne Bates 'Personal and professional identities of women on midwifery courses'
I am second supervisor to:
- Keely Hughes PhD Sociology ''The meaning of British ‘universal state education’
- Giulia Mininni PhD Enviromental Studies 'Can energy empower women? A Case Study from the Solar Mamas’ project in rural Rajasthan'
- Niki Simbani PhD Social POlicy/Nursing Group Clinical Supervision in Mental Health Nursing'
Examination of doctoral degrees
I have externally examined doctoral degrees at the following Universities:
Institute of Education; University College London; Kings College London, Manchester University; Southampton University; Aston University; Brunel University; Leicester University; University of Peshawar; London Metropolitan University; University of West of England.