Support for NHS researchers
The Health Library Service is here to support researchers working for our NHS partners. No matter the size of your project - big or small - we are here to support you.
At the Library
- Join the Library - this will allow you to use many of out facilities, services and resources.
- Study area - anyone can come in and use the study areas. We are a relatively quiet library and have a silent study room for those who need it.
- IT suite and facilities - the neighbouring IT suite includes PCs, with access to both the NHS and Keele networks. There are also printing, scanning and photocopying facilities. Wifi is available throughout the library.
- Borrowing books - by joining the library you can borrow our specialist healthcare books. Ebooks that you can read online are also available.
- Search our online catalogue Library Search for books and ebooks.
- Search for articles - you can use our healthcare-specific databases to search for articles on clinical and non-clinical topics.
- Register for an NHS OpenAthens username to access full-text articles online.
- Keep up-to-date - use our Current Awareness Service to keep up-to-date with the latest research and articles published in our journals.
- Access Keele University resources through our walk-in access service - you can request access to the Keele University computers and access their networked resources such as articles, journals and databases.
- Request unavailable items - if we don't have access to the full-text of the article you need you can request an inter-library loan and we will try to get it from another library for you.
Training and support
- Attend a train course or workshop - you can book onto one of our training sessions to learn how to use our resources or update your research skills.
- Complete our Getting Started etutorials to get to grips with some of our popular resources.
- Develop your information skills and learn how to search for information effectively by completing our online tutorials.
- Receive specialist support at your workplace from the outreach librarians - NHS staff working in the community are supported by our Outreach Librarian Service, who can visit you in your workplace.
- Consult with a librarian who will execute a literature search for you - if you are struggling to find the information you need or just don't have the time, our qualified staff can run a search for you. Please note that this service is not available to support course-work.
- You can also keep up-to-date with information about our reseources and training opportunities via our Information Skills for Health blog.
British Medical Association (BMA) - research grants
The Dunhill Medical Trust - charitable organisation providing research funding opportunities in specific areas
Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) - funding and guidance
EU Funding - for research and innovation
The Henry Smith Charity - charitable organisation providing research funding opportunities in specific areas
Leverhulme Trust - funding opportunities
Medical Research Council Funding Opportunities - grants, calls, highlight notices, studentships and fellowships
National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) - programme grants for applied research
Nuffield Trust - funding for programmes that support research and innovation in social policy
Wellcome Trust - funding opportunities
Keele University staff and students can find more support from the University's research department.
Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) - membership organisation of the leading medical and health research charities in the UK
The Final Chapter from University of Leeds - an online guide to help researchers and final year students to develop the skills to help them with their research and dissertations.
Medical Research Council (MRC) - "publicly-funded organisation dedicated to improving human health. We support research across the entire spectrum of medical sciences, in universities and hospitals, in our own units, centres and institutes in the UK, and in our units in Africa"
National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) - supports research within the NHS
RCN Research and Innovation Team - "works in partnership with the RCN Research Society and other key stakeholders to promote excellence in care through research and development in the UK and internationally"; support nurses working in research
RCN Research Society - aims include "provide support to and meet the needs of members of the Research Society providing a network for sharing experiences and learning and development opportunities"
Research and development from the Department of Health - note that some sections of this website are archived
Research Councils UK - "strategic partnership of the UK's seven Research Councils"
The Wellcome Trust - support biomedical research and the medical humanities; including public engagement, education and the application of research to improve health
UK Clinical Research Collaboration - "brings together the NHS, research funders, industry, regulatory bodies, Royal Colleges, patient groups and academia in a UK-wide environment that facilitates and promotes high quality clinical research for the benefit of patients"
Vitae - support and resources for "personal, professional and career development of doctoral researchers and research staff in higher education institutions and research institutes"; includes support to develop your information searching skills via the Informed Researcher Booklet and Information Literacy Lens on the Vitae Researcher Development Framework; additional publications are available as well as other views of the Vitae Researcher Development Framework