US Federal Student Loans

Keele University is certified to award Federal Stafford and PLUS loans.

Please note that the following information is for 2024/25 entry.

Keele participates in the US Government's William D Ford Direct Loans Scheme. For further information please look at the Department of Education's website.

Federal Direct Loans are provided by the US Government. They are available to US citizens and eligible non-citizens who have firmly accepted an unconditional offer to study at Keele University.

You must borrow a Direct Stafford Loan and the maximum amount available depends on if you are a postgraduate or an undergraduate student. You then apply for a Direct PLUS Loan if additional funds are required.  

We are certified in respect of all of our undergraduate and postgraduate study courses which lead to an undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree except for undergraduate Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Nursing courses, which are not certified to receive funding for US students.

It is important that you apply for your funding as soon as you have accepted an offer to study at Keele, at the very latest.  

Our school (OPEID) number is 030294.

The maximum amount you can borrow is calculated from the university's Cost of Attendance (COA) less any Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which includes bursaries, scholarships, grants and awards.

The COA only includes study-related costs (tuition fees plus estimated study expenses). Living expenses include rent, food and travel plus the estimated cost of two return flights, books, supplies and miscellaneous expenses.

Your COA will be confirmed to you by email but please remember that the maximum you can borrow is COA less your EFC. You do not have to borrow the maximum but the UK Home Office do require that you prove you have a minimum level of funds when you apply for a visa. 

Click here for more information about visas.

Subsidised Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education. The US Government subsidises interest that accrues on the loan while you are enrolled at least half-time. The amount of subsidised loan given depends on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on your SAR. 

Unsubsidised Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but in this case, do not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the loan. They are available to students who do not qualify for subsidised loans or to those that do but require additional funds. With an unsubsidised loan you are responsible for all the interest that accrues on the loan while you are enrolled at university. The interest on this loan can be paid monthly while you are at university or deferred until after you graduate or stop attending at least half-time.

First, complete a FAFSA. This can be done online. When you complete a FAFSA, we will be able to view it online.

Before we can process your application for a loan, you must also complete an MPN (a Master Promissory Note)complete entrance counselling;  and, if you or your parents are going to apply for a PLUS loan, you must complete a PLUS loan application and complete a credit check.

Next, email that you have been offered and are going to accept a place at Keele University and that you want to start the process of setting up your Federal Loan.

You will have a six-month grace period from the time you graduate, leave your course or reduce your studying to less than part-time, before you have to begin repaying your loan. Once this six-month period ends, you will need to begin making repayments.

Your application will be processed by the US Federal Loans Administrator at Keele University. You will be informed of how much loan has been certified and the payment dates. Two disbursements are made to students per academic year. These payments are generally made at the beginning of Semester one and Semester two.

Please be aware that your funding is released and disbursed only when you are in attendance at Keele, and it can take up to three weeks after the disbursement date for you to receive your funds. Please make sure, therefore, that you have sufficient funds to enable you to live in the UK for at least three weeks after you arrive.

You are required to undergo exit counselling once you have taken out your last US loan for study at Keele University, using the same link above.

Students in receipt of US federal loans are expected to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in accordance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy below (see Funding and Finance). Failure to do so could affect any eligibility for US Federal funding.

The engagement of all students is monitored at Keele University in accordance with the Academic Warnings Policy and and students in the UK with a visa for study are subject to attendance monitoring and a requirement to attend the student Checkpoints.

Any change in student status, such as changing the location of study, taking a Leave of Absence or withdrawal from the University will be reported to the US Department of Education and could affect any eligibility for US Federal funding. It is advisable to consult Student Support by email at if you are considering any change in student status.

We confirm the attendance of all students in receipt of US Federal Loans online through the National Student Loan Data System as required by Federal Regulations.

Cost of Attendance

For more information regarding the actual cost of attendance, including tuition fees, living costs, books, supplies and sundries, visit the following links.

  • View tuition fees and ways to make payments.
  • View information on accommodation both on and off campus and the associated costs.
  • View information on travel and transport, including the University Travel Plan.
  • View the Library pages for online reading lists plus links to the Library catalogue and resources.

Funding and Finance

  • View the ‌US Federal Loans Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for students in receipt of US Federal Loans
  • View the Policy on the Return of Title IV Funds for students in receipt of US Federal Loans
  • Student Fees – Refunds Policy and related Charging and Payment of Student Fees Policy (Regulation 14) - view here
  • For information on Scholarships, funding opportunities and more information on tuition fees, view here
  • Keele University will process private loans from providers who offer funding to students studying in ‘foreign schools’, but please be aware that the majority of private lenders choose not to offer loans to students studying outside the US.  We offer Electronic Funds Transfer through Sallie Mae. Applications can be made online via Open Net.

Academic Affairs and the University

  • View information on current programmes available at the University.
  • Information on retention rates for all UK universities are published by HESA.
  • For information on transferring to another university, taking a Leave of Absence or withdrawing from the University, click here. If you are considering taking a Leave of Absence or withdrawing from the University, you MUST consult Student Support as the US Department of Education have conditions that may affect your funding.
  • In order to be able to award a degree, UK Higher Education Institutions must be an official recognised or listed body. Keele University is a recognised body.
  • For information on the University’s Charter, UK Charitable Status along with the Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations, click here.

Health and Wellbeing

Data Management and Protection

What's changed for the 2024-25 FAFSA form?

Check out this video to learn about the changes to the 2024-2025 FAFSA form