Step 6: Managing Information
While you are completing your assignments or research you need to learn how to manage your information. This will help you to keep track of your searches and selected information. Thus when you are writing up your results, or should you need to verify anything, you have the information on hand.
There are a range of tools that can help you:
Current Awareness tutorial - complete our etutorial to learn about the tools to help you to keep up-to-date with the latest news and research.
Check the sections below for a summary of the actions you can take to manage your searching and results.
- Use our Literature Search Form to record your search plan.
- Use the database functions (where available) to save searches.
- Use Current Awareness or Alert functions to keep informed of new material matching your search criteria.
- Export and save your results where available.
- Store the items you've found in a reference manager system such as RefWorks, or use an online referencing tool.
- Use a bookmarking tool to keep track of online resources.
- Use Microsoft Office tools such as Word, Excel or Powerpoint, or similar, to present your research and assignments.
More help on: