Departmental Good Practice: Good practice at departmental level may depend upon particular circumstances, as there wil be a need to address issues pertinent to the department. For example, addressing issues relating to fieldwork may be important for one department but irrelevant to another.
When looking to adopt new practices it may be advisable to look at whether these practices have been adopted by similar departments who have achieved Athena SWAN awards. Advance-HE have a published a digital resource of good practice initiatives.
Quotes given by Athena SWAN panels on good practice from Keele departments include:
- "phased return after maternity leave" School of Medicine and ISTM
- "peer e-mentoring scheme for students" School of Psychology
- "processes for overview of appraisals" Primary Care and Health Sciences
- "policy of giving positions of responsibility to highly capable early-career staff and applies the university’s mentoring and appraisal schemes to encourage career development" and "The school provides undergraduate research bursaries to students interested in academic careers."School of Physical and Geographical Sciences
- "makes good use of role models" School of Life Sciences
- "Review of how well equality and diversity is embedded within the curricula, in particular with regards to inclusive curriculum design." - Computing and Maths
- "Tandem maternity cover" - Pharmacy
Advance-HE have published a number of reports linking Athena SWAN with improvements in good practice see for example: