I hold a PhD and MBA in finance from the University of Leeds, UK, and degrees in Physics and Economic Cybernetics from Belarusian State University. Prior to joining Keele in 2009, I was a KTP Associate with National Australia Bank Europe and the University of Leeds. I have over 7 years experience of working in financial services in the UK and abroad. My previous roles in banking included being a trader in government bonds, head of the securities market operations, and head of the central securities depository for government securities.
Research and scholarship
I am a member of the Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy research cluster at the Keele Business School. My current research interests include, but not limited to, fixed income markets, sovereign and corporate credit derivative markets, term structure of interest rates and forecasting financial markets and the macroeconomy.
I invite PhD applications in the following areas:
- Covid-19 pandemic and fixed income markets (bonds, credit spreads and credit default swaps)
- Forecasting financial markets using conventional and machine-learning techniques
- Nowcasting (forecasting) the economy using machine-learning techniques
I will consider applications in other areas if they sound interesting
Current doctoral students:
- Xia Yang, The joint dynamics of the stock market and property market prices in China: An empirical analysis
- Gavin Brown, Arbitrage and its implications for price discovery and efficiency of cryptocurrency markets
- Albert Chuma, Modelling of long-term care in England. Is the current funding mechanism sustainable?
Past doctoral students
- Suranjan Sadeeptha Jayathilaka, Forecasting the UK yield curve: A no-arbitrage factor-augmented VAR approach. PhD awarded in 2018
- Wang Xu, Macroeconomic determinants of corporate CDS spreads: An empirical study. PhD awarded in 2019
Awards and scholarship
- Won the ESRC and EPSRC sponsored "Award for Best Application of Social Science in a KTP" at the Knowledge Transfer Partnership Awards 2011.
- Associate of the Knowledge Transfer Project during 2007-2009, KTP Award funded by National Australia Bank Europe, ESRC, EPSRC, DTI. The project received an "outstanding grading" from the KTP Grading Panel and was awarded a KTP Certificate of Excellence.
- Awarded British Chevening Scholarship in 2000
- Asset Pricing
- Portfolio Choice
- International Finance
- Options and Futures