Geography, Geology and the Environment
Explore this Section
- / Faculty of Natural Sciences /
- School of Geography, Geology and the Environment /
- Our Staff /
- Dave Emley
David W. Emley BEM
|Location:||c/o Wiliam Smith WS 0.04|
I joined the Department of Geology in 1973 and retired as Senior Technician / Technical Manager in 2016. My job was quite varied being porincipally in charge of the chemical labs and its instrumentation, namely XRF and SEM. I branched out in to computer programming and then into website production for the Department but also, through KUDIS, for the whole university. During that time I helped to set up the Arboretum at Keele and especially the collection of Flowering Cherries, probably one of the largest of its kind in Europe. I led numerous lunchtime walks for staff and students and also for groups visiting the university and produced a number of publications on the flora and fauna of the campus. I retired in 2016 but continue to look after the arboretum. I received Keele Excellence Award Staff Supporting Learning and Teaching in 2014-2015 and was awarded a British Empire Medal in the 2017 New Year Honours for my "Services to higher education and natural history in Staffordshire". I continue to help out on some modules for GGE.
- Emley, D.W. 1980. The Bird Life of Keele University. 22pp. Keele University Library Occasional Publication No. 16.
- Emley, D.W. 1982. The Butterflies and Moths of Keele University. 40pp. Keele University Library Occasional Publication No. 18.
- Emley, D.W. 1986. A Guide to the Grounds of Keele University. 32pp. ISBN 0 900770 67 8.
- Emley, D.W. 2010. Keele University Woodland Walks leaflet
- Emley, D.W. 2010. Woodland Walks interpretation board
- Emley, D.W. 2014. Guide to the National Cherry Collection
- Emley, D.W. 2013. National Cherry Collection interpretation board
- Emley, D.W. 2014. Natural History of Keele University. 80pp.
- Emley, D.W. 2016. Natural History of Keele University Revised and Updated. 88pp.
These publications contain major resources for our staff and students but also for other workers both within Staffordshire and nationally.
- Emley, D.W. and Low, W.J. 1982. The Birds of Westport Lake. 47pp. Staffordshire Biological Recording Scheme Publication No. 9
- Emley, D.W. 1990. The Non-marine Invertebrate Fauna of Walney Island. 230-283. In Dean, T. The Natural History of Walney Island. Faust Publications. ISBN 0 948558 04 0
- Emley, D.W. 1992. Staffordshire Hoverflies. 160 maps. Staffordshire Biological Recording Scheme Publication.
- Emley, D.W. 1992. Staffordshire Flies. 140pp. Staffordshire Biological Recording Scheme Publication No. 15. ISBN 0 905080 95 5.
- Emley, D.W. and Warren, R.G. 2001. The Larger Moths of Staffordshire. 142pp, 8 col. plates, 500 maps. Staffordshire Ecological Record. ISBN 1 874414 20 3
- Atlas of Staffordshire Butterflies and Moths 2013. On-line publication http://tinyurl.com/puvypea
- Emley, D.W. 2014 Smaller Moths of Staffordshire, Staffordshire Environmental Record. On-line publication. ISBN 978-1-910434-00-0. Available here.
- Emley, D.W., Editor, 1999 to 2016. Annual Reports on the Birds of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and West Midlands. Nos. 66 to 81. ISSN 1476-2862.
- Emley, D.W. 2011. Checklist of Birds of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and West Midlands and Guide to Record Submission.