I studied Geology at the University of Freiburg, Germany, and the University of Oregon, USA, and received a diploma degree (M.Sc.) in Geology from the University of Freiburg in 1996 with a thesis on the volcanological and geochemical evolution of Monte Fossa delle Felci (Salina, Aeolian Islands, Italy). In 2001, I obtained a doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.) in Mineralogy from the University of Freiburg with a study on the eruptive history and magmatic evolution of Merapi volcano, Indonesia.
After postdoctoral positions at the University of Freiburg and The Open University, I joined the School of Physical and Geographical Sciences at Keele University in 2005 as a lecturer in Mineralogy and Petrology. I was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2012.
Research and scholarship
I have a wide range of interests in the fields of igneous petrology and volcanology. At present, these are focused on the following themes:
- Magma genesis and evolution in volcanic arcs and other geodynamic settings
- Magmatic processes and their impact on eruption dynamics
- Rates and timescales of magmatic processes using short-lived isotopes
- Volatile behaviour in volcanic systems and the environmental impact of volcanic eruptions
- Emplacement of pyroclastic density currents
- Volcanic hazards and risks
Current study and field areas include:
- Aeolian Islands (Italy)
- Azores (Portugal)
- Santorini (Greece)
- Sunda arc, Indonesia (Merapi)
I am a member of the Keele Petrology Group, and research centre lead of the Centre of Geography, Geology and the Environment.
- ESC-10054 : Introduction to Mineralogy and Petrology (Module Leader)
- ESC-20001 : Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- ESC-30009 : Natural Hazards
- ESC-30026 : Independent Field Project
- ESC-30030 : Advanced Petrology and Structural Geology Field Course
- ESC-30032 : Geoscience: Independent Field Project
- ESC-30033 : Volcanic and Magmatic Processes (Module Leader)
Year 4 (MGeoscience)
- ESC-40004 : Geoscience Research Project
- ESC-40005 : Research in Context
- ESC-40006 : Research Report
- ESC-40015 : MGeoscience: Natural Hazards
MSc Geoscience Research - Programme Director
- ESC-40042 : Literature Review
- ESC-40043 : Specific Research Skills
- ESC-40044 : Dissertation
- ESC-40045 : Generic Research Skills
- ESC-40046 : Research Project Design and Management (Module Leader)
- ESC-40036 : Geoscience option module: Volcanic and Magmatic Processes (Module Leader)
- ESC-10034 : Pembrokeshire
- ESC-20001 : Shap, Cumbria
- ESC-20039 : North Wales
- ESC-30030 : Mull, Scotland
- ESC-30033/40036 : Southern Italy / Santorini (Field Course Leader)
- Rebecca Wiltshire, Keele University (2016 – )
Topic: Pre-eruptive magmatic processes and volatile behaviour of medium-sized eruptions at subduction zone volcanoes
- Sean Whitley, Keele University (2015 – )
Topic: Xenoliths as tracers of magmatic and intra-crustal processes at subduction zone volcanoes. Co-supervisor with R. Halama.
- Luke Hepworth, Keele University (2018)
Linking in situ crystallisation and magma replenishment in the Rum Layered Intrusion, NW Scotland. Co-supervisor with B. O’Driscoll, S. Daly & C. Donaldson.
- Adam Jeffery, Keele University (2016)
Petrogenesis and contrasting eruption styles of peralkaline silicic magmas from Terceira and São Miguel, Azores.
- Liam Bullock, Keele University (2015)
Structure, emplacement and textural evolution of young obsidian lavas in the Aeolian islands, Italy.
- Katie Preece, University of East Anglia (2014)
Transitions between effusive and explosive activity at Merapi volcano, Indonesia: a volcanological and petrological study of the 2006 and 2010 eruptions. Co-supervisor with J. Barclay & R. Herd.
- Lizzie Derbyshire, Keele University (2014)
Upper mantle processes, serpentinisation and late-stage alteration preserved in British ophiolite peridotites and chromitites. Co-supervisor with B. O’Driscoll.
- Sylvain Charbonnier, Keele University (2009)
The dynamics and hazards of small-volume pyroclastic flows: a case study of the 2006 eruption of Merapi volcano, Java, Indonesia.