Phil Richards is the Head of Petroleum Geoscience at the British Geological Survey. He completed his geology degree at Aberystwyth and his Applied Geology PhD at Strathclyde, and has over 35 years of world-wide oil exploration experience, working with governments, the World Bank and oil company consortia.
- 1986 –1989 : PhD Strathclyde — Applied Geology (Part time research, 1986-1989)
- 1980 : BSc (Hons) Aberystwyth — Geology
- Chartered Geologist
- Fellow, Geological Society of London
- Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain
- Falkland Islands geology
- Petroleum geology
- Sequence stratigraphy
- Shallow marine to fluvial sedimentology
- South Atlantic evolution and Gondwana breakup
- Negotiation and marketing
- Petroleum exploration project management
- Prospect generation
- Regional basin analysis
- Sedimentology and stratigraphy
- Seismic interpretation
- RICHARDS, PC et al. 2013. Mesozoic magmatism in the Falkland Isalnds (South Atlantic) and their offshore sedimentary basins. Journal of Petroleum Geology, 36, 61-74.
- KIMBELL, G AND RICHARDS, PC. 2008. The three–dimensional lithospheric structure of the Falkland Plateau region based on gravity modelling. Journal of the Geological Society of London, 165, 795-806.
- STONE, P, RICHARDS, PC, KIMBELL, G, ESSER, R AND REEVES, D. 2008. A newly discovered suite of Cretaceous dykes in the Falkland Islands, South Atlantic: implications for regional tectonics. Journal of the Geological Society of London, 165, 1-4.
- RICHARDS, PC, DUNCAN, I, PHIPPS, CB, PICKERING, G, GRZYWACK, J, HOULT, R AND MERRITT, J. 2006. Exploring for fans in the offshore Falklands basins. Journal of Petroleum Geology, 23, 199-214.
- RICHARDS, PC AND HILLIER, BV 2000a. Post drilling analysis of the North Falkland Basin - part 1: tectono-stratigraphic framework. Journal of Petroleum Geology.
- RICHARDS, PC AND HILLIER, BV 2000b. Post drilling analysis of the North Falkland Basin - part 2: the petroleum system and future prospects. Journal of Petroleum Geology.
*Accreditation is dependent on the degree route and modules taken