Dr A. Graham Leslie is a recently retired (2022) British Geological Survey (BGS) Senior Mapping Geologist who has also taught, trained, and mentored students and researchers in a number of UK universities, including Keele University. He brings over 40 years of experience in primary mapping, structural geology and geophysics.
Research and scholarship
A career mostly focussed on the Caledonian rocks of Scotland, Ireland and East Greenland has given Graham the background to author the Grampian Orogenesis chapter for the new 5th edition of the Geology of Scotland, whilst contributing to three other chapters including those for the Dalradian Supergroup, and the Carboniferous geology of Scotland.
Graham has also provided leading geological input to the 3D geological model and geological review of Singapore undertaken by BGS on behalf of the Geological Office of BCA between 2012 and 2014. Integrating strategically-targeted new GI data with existing outcrop data has provided a modern, completely revised geological understanding of subsurface Singapore underpinning new infrastructure development, revision of the national stratigraphical and structural frameworks, and publication of a new Memoir (2021) of Singapore Geology. Similar work is now ongoing in Kuala Lumpur.
Mostly supporting field and structural geology support to BDRG and the wider GGE School.
Mark Grodner (Ph.D.) in BDRG; Ryan Podmore (Masters) in BDRG
Collaborations and grants awards
Supporting activity of BDRG where appropriate
- MR Gillespie, AG Leslie. 2022. Defining and classifying nonstratiform units: a morphogenetic approach. In: Coe, A.L. (ed.) Deciphering Earth’s History: the Practice of Stratigraphy. Geological Society, London, Geoscience in Practice, 23–40, https://doi.org/10.1144/GIP1-2022-34
- JI Shaw, T Torvela, MR Cooper, G Leslie, RJ Chapman. 2022 A progressive model for the development of the Cavanacaw Au–Ag–Pb vein deposit, Northern Ireland, and implications for the evolution and metallogeny of the Grampian Terrane. Journal of Structural Geology, 161, 104637
- LP Howell, C Priddy, AJ Mitten, AJ Jeffery, SS Egan, G Leslie, RP Pettigrew, SM Clarke and TI Kearsey. 2022. ‘Block and basin’style rift basins: sedimentological insights from the Mississippian Fell Sandstone Formation. Journal of the Geological Society 179 (4), jgs2021-083.
- AJ Mitten, A Gough, AG Leslie, SM Clarke, MAE Browne. 2022. Facies analysis of the Greywacke Conglomerate Formation, Glenbuck, Scotland. Scottish Journal of Geology, Scottish Journal of Geology, sjg2021-010
- C Priddy, A Regis, S Clarke, A Leslie, T Dodd. 2021. Localized bank collapse or regional event? Geology of the Intermountain West, 8, 27–44.
- MW Grodner, SM Clarke, SD Burley, AG Leslie, R Haslam. 2021. Combining topology and fractal dimension of fracture networks to characterise structural domains in thrusted limestones. Journal of Structural Geology, 153, 104468
- MR Gillespie, AG Leslie. 2021. BRUCS: a new system for classifying and naming mappable rock units. Journal of the Geological Society, 178, (4)
- L Howell, B Besly, S Sooriyathasan, S Egan, G Leslie, 2021. Seismic and borehole-based mapping of the late Carboniferous succession in the Canonbie Coalfield, SW Scotland: evidence for a ‘broken’ Variscan foreland? Scottish Journal of Geology, 57, sjg2020-007
- DI Schofield, AG Leslie, PR Wilby, R Dartnall, JWF Waldron, J.W.F. and RS Kendall. 2021. Tectonic evolution of Anglesey and adjacent mainland North Wales. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 503, 371–390.
- TJH Dodd, AG Leslie, MR Gillespie, MR Dobbs, TP Bide, RS Kendall, TI Kearsey, K Chiam, and M Goay. 2020. Deep to shallow-marine sedimentology and impact of volcanism within the Middle Triassic Palaeo-Tethyan Semantan Basin, Singapore. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 196, 104371
- AG Leslie, MR Dobbs, NT Fatt, QA Rosle, MRM Noh, TJ Dodd and MR Gillespie. 2020. The Ukay Perdana Shear Zone in Kuala Lumpur: a crustal-scale marker of early Jurassic orogenic deformation in Peninsular Malaysia. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Malaysia, 69, 135–147.
- T Pharaoh, R Haslam, E Hough, K Kirk, G Leslie, D Schofield, A Heafford. 2020. The Môn–Deemster–Ribblesdale fold–thrust belt, central UK: a concealed Variscan inversion belt located on weak Caledonian crust. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 490, 153–176.
- L Howell, S Egan, G Leslie, S Clarke, A Mitten, J Pringle. 2020. The influence of low‐density granite bodies on extensional basins. Geology Today, 36, 22–26.
- MR Gillespie, RS Kendall, AG Leslie, IL Millar, TJH Dodd, TI Kearsey, TI Bide, KM Goodenough, MR Dobbs, MKW Lee and K Chiam. 2019. The igneous rocks of Singapore: new insights to Palaeozoic and Mesozoic assembly of the Sukhothai Arc. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. 183, 103940.
- AG Leslie, TJH Dodd, MR Gillespie, RS Kendall, TP Bide, TI Kearsey, MR Dobbs, MKW Lee, and K Chiam. 2019. Ductile and brittle deformation in Singapore: a record of Mesozoic orogeny and amalgamation in Sundaland, and of post-orogenic faulting. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 181, 103890
- TJH Dodd, MR Gillespie, AG Leslie, TI Kearsey, RS Kendall, TP Bide, MR Dobbs, IL Millar, MKW Lee and K Chiam and Goay, M.. 2019. Paleozoic to Cenozoic sedimentary bedrock geology and lithostratigraphy of Singapore. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 180, 103878.