Basin Dynamics Research Group
Explore this Section
NERC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Oil and Gas
The Basin Dynamics Research Group at Keele University is a member of the NERC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Oil and Gas. This CDT is a consortium of 14 UK universities each with a strong research focus in hydrocarbon exploration, the British Geological Survey and the National Oceanographic Centre.
The CDT in Oil and Gas offers 30+ PhD positions yearly, spread across the consortium member universities. These positions offer excellent opportunities to undertake research in a broad range of subjects that contribute to NERC's main themes in oil and gas research. These themes are:
- Effective production of unconventional hydrocarbons
- Extending the life of mature basins
- Exploitation in challenging environments
- Environmental impact and regulation
Each NERC CDT in Oil and Gas PhD position is fully-funded for four years and offers a bespoke and in-depth programme of 20 weeks training alongside PhD research. The training programme draws on the best courses offered by the consortium universities as well as training courses provided by industry partners.
- For further information on the CDT in Oil and Gas Consortium please visit the CDT home page
- For a full range of PhD studentships on offer across all consortium members, please visit the CDT studentships page.
- For NERC CDT in Oil and Gas PhD studentships with the Basin Dynamics Research Group at Keele University, please visit the PhD Opportunities page of this website.
- For eligibility, see PhD Eligibility & Rules Governing the NERC Awards.
The following projects are being offered for September 2017 (1 will be funded):
Structural, stratigraphic and geodynamic controls on the evolution of the Carboniferous succession of northern England and southern Scotland
Supervisors: Dr Stuart Egan (Keele University) and Dr Graham Leslie (BGS)