Campus Nature Trail
The Holly hedge behind the car-park was once one of the finest in the country. Planted in 1769, at its peak it was 200 yards long, and trimmed to 25 feet high and 18 feet wide. The photograph shows it in the 1890s; the gardens on the left are where the houses now are. A gravel walkway ran along the other side to a set of glazed gates to the west that allowed a sheltered view across to the Welsh mountains. Today, it is a roosting site for finches in the winter.