Explore this Section
Electronic Resources - Nursing
This list does not include individual e-journals. Please use the E-journals A to Z to search for e-journals by title.
Many resources require Keele usernames for off-campus access. Please see our E-resources Access page for further information about this service.
Contact Mariet Schepers on 01782 679583, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Rachael Lewis on 01782 679563, email email@example.com
To access these key databases from off campus, use your Keele username and password.
- AMED - via EBSCO - Alternative & Complementary Medicine Database (service provided by a department within the British Library). Basic citation information from over 500 journals, with the scope being mainly European.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text - EBSCO - CINAHL Plus with Full Text is the world's most comprehensive source of full text for nursing & allied health journals. Indexes virtually all the journals indexed on British Nursing Index.
- Joanna Briggs Institute EBP Database - This comprehensive database covers a wide range of medical, nursing, and health science specialties and includes a unique suite of information that’s been analysed, appraised, and prepared by expert reviewers
- Maternity & Infant Care (Ovid)
- MEDLINE - EBSCO - Huge database of citations and abstracts (15.5 million records) drawn from more than 4,800 current biomedical journal
- Physical Education Index (Proquest) References for all aspects of health, fitness and physical education. Off-campus? Click here
- PsycINFO - EBSCO - Major database of abstracts drawn from the literature of psychology, 1872 to date
- Web of Science - This includes the Arts and Humanities Citation Index, ISI Proceedings, Journal Citation Reports and ISIHighlyCited.com.
Evidence Based Reviews
- Cochrane Library (via Information Resources, NHS Evidence) - Database of systematic reviews and other evidence-based material aimed at informing healthcare research, teaching, funding, and administration
Other Useful Databases
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses -Small searchable database of full-text articles drawn from journals published by the AACN
- Medicines Complete (Royal Pharmaceutical Press) - Medicines Complete gives you online access to the resources listed below. A Keele log-in is required for off-campus access. You will find the latest available edition of each of the following
- BNF for children
- Clarke's Analysis of Drugs & Poisons
- Drug Administration via Enteral Feeding Tubes
- Handbook on Injectable Drugs
- Injectable Drugs Guide
- Pharmaceutical Expedients
- Remington: The Science & Practice of Pharmacy
- Stockley’s Drug Interactions
- The Orange Guide
- The Merck Index This resource was formerly available on Medicines Complete, but is currently available from the Royal Society of Chemistry's website.
Social Sciences Databases
Also use the Web of Science - see the 'Databases' section on this web page.
Medical Education Databases
Best Evidence Medical Education. Reviews and supporting information from BEME (the website is freely available).
Australian Education Index (Proquest). A collection of research documents relating to educational trends, policy, and practices. Coverage from 1977.
British Education Index (BEI) (Proquest-Dialog). References relating to research, policy and practice in education and training in the UK (1975 onwards).
ERIC (Proquest). This database is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education to provide extensive access to education-related literature.
Professional development and standards
- Nursing and Midwifery Council - The regulatory body that sets standards for UK nurses and midwives.
- Royal College of Nursing - Represents the interests of UK nurses, promoting excellence in practice. Members can access a range of resources, including 12 full-text journals. Some areas of the site are for members only.
- Infection Prevention Society - Advancing the specialty of infection control and prevention by providing information, education, professional development, and research.
- Centre for Nursing Innovation (FONS) a UK-registered charity operating across all healthcare settings. Has regular reports on innovations in practice. You can access these reports by selecting the 'Library' tab on the menu, then clicking on 'Dissemination Series'.
- British Nursing News Online - Comprehensive daily news service for UK nurses, plus searchable archive.
- Nursing Times News - Recent news stories with searchable archive, provided by the Nursing Times. Job vacancies for nurses also available to search.
Learning and reference
- Hardin.MD - Very comprehensive collection of resources for health and medicine, mostly illustrated.
- Spotting the Sick Child (2) - Web site building on the DVD Spotting the Sick Child (2004). It is produced in association with the Department of Health, Health Education Research & Development Unit (University of Leicester & University Hospitals of Leicester) and OCB Media. It contains video footage and learning materials. You can register to "personalise" your visits to the site.
- Nursing Theory Page - Collection of resources about nursing theories and models.
- ZETOC - Tables of contents and email alerts for current journals and conferences
Printed Books and Ebooks
Use the Library Catalogue (Catalogue Plus) to search for individual titles held by the Library. Search by keyword, title, author/title.
Dawsonera: growing collection of ebooks for core reading list material. You’ll find all titles from Dawsonera in the Library Catalogue
MyiLibrary:You’ll also find all titles from MyiLibrary in the Library Catalogue
EBSCO ebook collection: You’ll find some of the titles in the Library Catalogue.