Fees and Funding

Funding for mobility is important to all students and requires some careful planning. Luckily, there are lots of funding opportunities available to students, both from Keele University and from other organisations.

The information provided on this page is accurate for funding to be provided to students going on study abroad in 2020/21.

Tuition fees

If you are studying abroad as part of your degree you will still need to pay tuition fees for that year to Keele University. You do not pay any fees to your host university. 

Tuition fee loans will be available to eligible students to cover these costs through your student finance body.


UK/EU Students

International Students

Semester Exchange

Normal full tuition fees apply

Normal full tuition fees apply

Full Year Exchange


15% of your full tuition fee

You can find more information on the Undergraduate Tuition Fee pages for study abroad students.

Important: For students going abroad in 2020-21 who have chosen to undertake a blended mobility, the tuition fee rate of 15% is not confirmed and is subject to change once confirmed by the Student Loans Company.

Maintenance loan/grant

  • You will still be eligible to apply for a maintenance loan/grant
  • For students studying abroad, the amount of loan available may be slightly higher, please see the Student Finance pages for the latest figures

Student finance travel grant

Student Finance offers means-tested travel grants for students studying abroad as part of their course. For full details see the Gov.uk Travel Grants page but in summary, you can apply for funding towards:

  • up to 3 return flights from the UK to your host country
  • visas, medical insurance, and essential expenditure

You will need to pay the first £303 towards the above costs.

For students studying abroad, the amount of loan available may be slightly higher, see the Student Finance pages or contact the Keele Student Services Centre for the latest amounts.

The UK Government may provide some additional funding via loans and travel grants based on your programme and need. The process can differ based on region, so make sure to research the funding available to you.

The Erasmus+ programme enables you to undertake either a study or traineeship placement at a European university or organisation. To be eligible for this grant, traineeships placements must be at least 60 days and study placements 90 days long. Eligible students receive an Erasmus+ grant provided by the European Commission - this is paid through Keele. The grant contributes towards the costs of studying abroad.

Please see the main Erasmus+ Grant webpages for more information. 

The Turing scheme provides funding for students to undertake a study or work placement at partner institutions or organisations across the world. Keele University was awarded £910,000 for student mobility until the 31st August 2022. 

Please see the main Turing Funding webpage for more information. 

Swiss European Mobility Programme (SEMP)

If you are planning to study in Switzerland you may be eligible to receive up to 1,800 CHF (Swiss Francs) per semester directly from the Swiss partner university that you are studying at. 

BUTEX Scholarships

Keele University is a member of BUTEX, which aims to promote study abroad between the UK and non-EU universities. Any student going on an exchange outside of the Erasmus scheme can apply for one of £500 scholarships that BUTEX makes available. To find out how to apply, visit the BUTEX website

Hong Kong Scholarship for Excellence 

The British Council makes available around 10 scholarships of up to £4000. These are open to any UK passport holder participating in an official university exchange to Hong Kong. For more information visit the British Council Hong Kong website

JASSO Scholarship (studying in Japan only)

Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) is an independent administrative institution established under the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (Monbukagakusho). JASSO comprehensively administers scholarship loan programs, support programs for international students, and student support programs. Students can receive up to JPY 80,000. For more information visit the JASSO website.

Students accepted onto an exchange programme at Kwansei Gakuin Univerisity or Seinan Gakuin University who meet the eligibility criteria may apply for this scholarship.