Current role: Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing and Professional Lead.
PhD student, MSc, Health Care Education; Nurse Teacher (NMC recorded), Advanced Diploma Nursing Studies (Mental Health), (RMN); (Level 6), modules in Education, Administration, Planning and Policy Studies, Diploma in Education (Schools).
I am a Registered Mental Health nurse (RMN) with extensive experience in dealing with individuals with mental health problems; my area of speciality is in acute inpatient care. Working with service users in inpatient settings highlighted the need to reduce restrictive practices in mental health, hence a supporter and advocate of the Safewards model.
My teaching journey started in (1993) when I trained as a primary school teacher then as a registered nurse teacher (NMC) in 2010. I teach both in pre and post registration nursing programs.
I am currently undertaking PhD studies at Keele University sponsored by the School of Nursing & Midwifery, Keele University. The focus of my thesis is on group clinical supervision in acute inpatient mental health environments using a Participatory Action Research approach.
Research and scholarship
- Qualitative Research
- Action Research
- Participatory Action Research
- Clinical supervision
- Computerized data analysis system (NVIVO)
- Pre-registration nursing
- Post registration nursing
- Mental Health nursing
- Perinatal mental health
- Child & Adolescent mental health
- Dissertation Supervision
- Care planning
- Inter-professional Education (IPE)
- Delivering mental health training
- Interested in new teaching methods
- Link lecturer for clinical placements
- Project management
- I have an honorary contract with Derbyshire Mental Health Foundation Trust
- Member of Action Research group, NHS BME group
- Member of Safewards International Leadership and Management group
- Ethics committee member in the school of Nursing & Midwifery
- Member of the Mental Health Academics group
- Co-ordinator for Advanced Inter-professional Education (IPE)
- Co-ordinator for Nursing & Midwifery careers convention for final year students
Poster presentation: Simbani, S. and Wardle, P .Taking Google to the classroom: Teaching the Mental Health Act to nursing students in a UK university: Innovation Nation event, North Staffordshire Conference Centre (2018).
Workshop presentation: Simbani, S. and Wardle, P. Taking Google to the classroom: Teaching the Mental Health Act to nursing students in a UK university. 24th International Mental Health Nursing Research conference (MHNR), Manchester, UK (2018).
Guest speaker: Safewards Inspirational Conference. Aarhus, Denmark (March, 2016).
Journal article: Brewer, A. Beech, R. Simbani, S. (2017) Using de- escalation strategies to prevent aggressive behaviour. Mental Health Practice 21, 2, 22-28.
Guest speaker: Safewards Inspirational Conference. Aarhus, Denmark (Sept 2016).
Guest speaker: Safewards Inspirational Conference. Mental Health Services in the Region of Southern, Middelfart Denmark, (2016).
Poster presentation: A collaborative approach to discharge planning: An Educational perspective. 22nd International Network for psychiatric Nursing (NPNR) conference, Nottingham, UK. (2016).