How and when do I apply?

We are keen to encourage Medicine (MBChB) students at Keele to intercalate given the significant academic and career benefits of intercalation. To undertake an intercalated degree, students must be given permission by the School of Medicine as well as being offered a place on their chosen course. Permission is now granted following a short interview with an Intercalation panel. Decisions will be based on the student’s academic record overall and on their motivation for undertaking the intercalated degree. Permission will be withdrawn if students do not pass their end of year assessments (Theory and Practical) at the first sitting.  

  • Please note that should permission to intercalate be granted by the interview panel, students will still need to apply independently to the course of their choice.
  • Intercalating students will be given access to their cohort's Blackboard, in order for them to stay in touch with their year's activities.

To apply


  1. Complete and return the Keele ICD Expression of Interest Form by October 31st of the year PRIOR to the proposed intercalation year. We will assess your academic record separately.
  2. You will be invited to an interview with the intercalation panel, which typically takes place in early to mid-November. Preliminary notification of the permission to intercalate is typically sent out by the end of November.
  3. The final selection of candidates will be made after the end of year examinations and will be conditional on a satisfactory performance and professional conduct. A letter confirming your selection or rejection will be sent to you once your examination record has been verified.

You are strongly encouraged to contact the course leads for an informal discussion to get further information on the course before you apply.

Keele students wishing to intercalate at another university

You will need to liaise directly with the relevant intercalated degree co-ordinator at the university you are interested in, familiarise yourself with their application process and apply directly to the relevant university. Keele will not do this on your behalf.

However, you will need to obtain permission to intercalate from Keele School of Medicine, following the standard application and interview process described above. If required, we will write directly to the intercalated degree co-ordinator at the university you choose to intercalate at, confirming whether you have been granted permission to intercalate.

Please visit the UK database of intercalated courses for medical students for a comprehensive list of available courses at other universities

External students wishing to intercalate at Keele University

Applicants should seek permission to intercalate from their own medical school prior to applying to Keele.

Applications will be processed centrally by the relevant university department. The decision regarding acceptance of an applicant to a specific intercalated degree will be made by the degree course leaders.

For intercalated degrees on offer at Keele please see Intercalated Bachelor’s Courses and Intercalated Master’s Courses, where contact details for individual course leads are also provided.

You are strongly encouraged to contact the course leads directly for an informal discussion to get further information regarding the degree courses.

You will be expected to pay the fees set by the degree course.

Applicants should submit an Application Form for External Applicants.

Other questions

For any other questions, please direct your queries in the first instance to Dr Melissa Bowerman (

School of Medicine
David Weatherall building
University Road
Keele University