I was appointed as a part-time Lecturer in Biomedical Science in 2010 whilst working as a registered Specialist Biomedical Scientist (BMS) in Haematology and Transfusion Practice at Royal Stoke University (RSUH) Hospital.
In 1997 I began my career in Pathology working at (RSUH) as a Medical Laboratory Assistant. At this time I completed my ‘A’ levels by attending evening classes. I was then appointed as a Trainee Biomedical Scientist and graduated in 2005 with a BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Science from Manchester Metropolitan University. After twelve months consolidating my knowledge as Health Professions Council, Registered Biomedical Scientist I went back to studying and in 2009 completed an MSc in Biomedical Science (Haematology) also at Manchester. I was then appointed as a Specialist Biomedical Scientist and Training Officer in Haematology and Transfusion Science and obtained my Specialist Diploma in Haematology with Transfusion Practice in 2012
I began teaching at Keele in 2008 firstly demonstrating practical laboratory skills to the students and subsequently delivering specialist lectures. In 2010 I was fortunate enough to secure a part time lecture post and from 2012 became a full time lecturer at Keele. I now deliver lecturers tutorials and practical classes to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Research and scholarship
As a practicing BMS I have a wide variety of interests relating to blood cells and their disorders. Recently I have commenced research investigating the anticoagulant effects of heparin and how it could be manipulated to give more predictable results leading to improved patient care.
Since starting work at Keele I have completed the MA in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. I am a Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Scientists and also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- SHAR 00009: Inter-Professional Education
- LSC 00003: Introduction to Biology of the Human Organism
- LSC 10030: Case Studies in Medicine
- LSC 10035: Introduction to Medical Laboratory Science
- LSC 20010: Medical Laboratory Sciences I
- LSC 20011: Medical Laboratory Sciences II
- LSC 20040: Professional Relationships (Module Manager)
- LSC 30007: Biology Dissertation
- LSC 30008/3(5): (Double) Biochemistry Research Projects
- LSC 30010: Biochemistry in Practice: Acquisition, Analysis and Communication of Information
- LSB 30014: Biochemistry Research Project (Non-experimental)
- LSC 30015: Biology Of Disease
- LSC 30026: Case Studies in Biomedical Science
- LSC 30034(44): (Double) Applied Biomedical Science Placement (Module Manager)
- LSC 40029: Biomedical Ethics and Grant Proposal
- LSC 40030: Project Management and Business Planning
- LSC 40033: Advanced Laboratory Techniques
- LSC 40042: Case Studies in Blood Science I
- LSC 40035: Clinical Pathology II (Module Manager)
- LSC 40041: Case Studies in Blood Sciences II (Module Manager)
- LSC 40040: Dissertation- Blood Sciences Research Project