- Qualifications and awards
In progress to obtain MA in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK.
2018 Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Keele University, Staffordshire, UK.
2017 PhD Doctor of Philosophy Life Sciences/ Fish Immunology, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK.
Thesis title ‘The use of carbohydrates as an immunomodulator in carp (Cyprinus carpio)’
Supervisors: Professor David Hoole, and Dr Mark Skidmore
2016 Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), Keele University, Staffordshire, UK.
2008 MSc Agricultural Sciences (Animal Science and Production)/ Fish Nutrition (awarded distinction), University of Sulaimani, Sulaymaniyah, Kurdistan.
2002 BSc Agricultural Sciences (Animal Science and Production) (awarded first-class honours), University of Sulaimani, Sulaymaniyah, Kurdistan.
- Roles at school and university level
- Royal Society of Biology liaison officer at Keele University, UK.
- Chair Engagement Working Group at the School of Life Sciences, Keele University, UK.
- Induction Week Coordinator at School of Life Sciences, Keele University, UK.
- Member at KIITE Research Ethics Committee, Keele Institute for Innovation and Teaching Excellence, Keele University, UK.
Research and scholarship
The rapid emergence of drug resistance, unfavourable immunosuppression and mounting evidence to suggest the deleterious accumulation of drug breakdown residues within animal tissues has driven a strong desire to move away from these current methods of disease control. Some natural products such as β-glucan, which are extracted from, for example, plants and fungi, are able to modulate the immune system and increase protection against diseases.
My research aims are to investigate a range of immunomodulatory carbohydrates that are naturally extracted compounds and/or chemically modified which could have favourable bioactivities, this comprises: antioxidant, antitumor, immunomodulatory, inflammation, anticoagulant, antiviral, antiprotozoan, antibacterial, antilipemic effects.
Other Esteem Indicators:
- Reviewer at the Pearson Education publisher, March 2020 & December 2019.
- Reviewer at the International journal Frontiers Immunology, December 2019.
- Reviewer at the 19th EAFP International Conference on Diseases of Fish and Shellfish that was held in Porto, September 2019.
- Reviewer at the Higher Education department at Oxford University Press, June 2019.
- Reviewer at the International journal on molecular and cellular biology: Molecular Biology Reports (MOLE) July 2018.
- Reviewer at the 18th EAFP International Conference on Diseases of Fish and Shellfish held in Belfast, September 2017.
Higher Education Academy, Veterinary Vaccinology Network, IBCarb Network, Glycoscience Tools for Biotechnology & Bioenergy, a BBSRC NIBB, European Association of Fish Pathologists (EAFP).
Foundation Year Science Program FYSc Level 3 modules:
LSC-00423 Introduction to Human Biology Teaching
Undergraduate degree BSc (Hons) Level 4 modules:
LSC-10085 Fundamentals of Biology Module Management and Teaching
LSC-10081 Animal Biology Teaching
LSC-10070 - Clinical Applications of Biomedical Science Teaching
Undergraduate degree BSc (Hons) Level 5 modules:
LSC-20099 Animal Nutrition and Health Module Management and Teaching (a new module starting from the 2021/22)
LSC-20062 Living Together: Behaviour, Cooperation and Conflict Module Management and Teaching
LSC-20071 Animal Adaptation Teaching
LSC-20089 - Clinical Applications of Biomedical Science II Teaching
LSC-20055 Life at the extremes; The Biology Field Course (Bangor University) Field Course Organisation and Teaching
Undergraduate degree BSc (Hons) Level 6 modules:
LSC-30043 Conservation Biology Teaching
LSC-30030 Human Evolution Module management and Teaching
LSC-30066 - Tropical Biology Field Course Teaching
LSC-30050 Life Sciences Dissertation Supervision
LSC-30045 Life Sciences Double Experimental Project Supervision
LSC-30048 Life Sciences Single Experimental Project Supervision
Postgraduate MSc degree modules:
LSC-40040 Dissertation: Blood Sciences Research Project Supervision
Full Publications Listshow
Funding, Awards and prizes
· 2018 Students award, and Keele Excellence Award (Nominees).
· £3,765 Keele University, Impact Acceleration Fund (IAF) 2016.
· $250 Best Early Stage Researchers prize sponsored by Elsevier at the 2nd EAFP UK and Ireland Branches Meeting, Stirling University, 2016.
· €400 EAFP award for registration the 16th EAFP international conference, TAMPERE, Finland 2013.
· £300 Keele University award for registration the 2nd EAFP UK and Ireland Branches Meeting, Stirling University, 2016.
· €300 EAFP award for the 17th EAFP international conference, LAS PALMAS, Spain 2015.
· £180 Keele University award for registration the 1st EAFP UK and Ireland Branches Meeting, Keele University, UK 2014.
· £110 Keele Postgraduate Association KPA attendance reward for the 2nd Midlands Academy of Medical Sciences Research Festival, Warwick University, 2017.