Supporting International students

Keele Careers and Employability offers the same information and guidance services to international students as it does home students. As an international student there may be restrictions on how much and the type of work you can do while you study. You can find the latest Government advice for international and EU students studying in the UK here.

You can use the service at any stage of your degree or postgraduate study. Check Seeing a Careers Consultant for information on our appointment times or visit Career Hub to book sessions online.

There is also a Careers factsheet for International Students and factsheets on Diversity and Equal Opportunities.

Issues discussed at Careers and Employability with international students

We discuss a variety of topics with Keele's international students. The most frequently discussed are:

  • Availability of work experience during your time as a student.
  • Opportunities for employment in the UK after your studies.
  • Researching and applying for postgraduate study in the UK.

Please note: Under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V) Keele Careers and Employability is not allowed to offer advice on issues of immigration. Our main activity is the "provision of basic information on which a person can act or the signposting of that person on to an appropriate advice provider."

Working in the UK after your studies

Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker visa for people coming to the UK with a skilled job offer. The employer needs to be on the UK Border Agency list of licensed sponsors. This is the main option for students wanting to gain employment in the UK after completion of their degree. Students must have a job from an employer before their student visa expires.

Skilled Worker visa allows employers to recruit people from outside the UK to work. Employers do this through issuing a Certificate of Sponsorship to a job applicant. The Certificate of Sponsorship comprises of a reference number that must be quoted when the person applies for the visa from the UK Border Agency.

Applicants need to have:

Working in the UK during your studies

Many international students are allowed to work in the UK during their studies. You need to check your passport to see if any restrictions apply to you. There are a number of issues you may need to consider:

  • The type of stamp you have in your passport which states whether you can work during your time in the UK.
  • If you are allowed to work, you will be able to work for up to 20 hours a week during term-time and unlimited hours during holidays.
  • You will also be able to take a placement which is part of a "sandwich degree" and take part in an internship programme with an employer.

Sources of information on visas

The Home Office
This department leads on immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime policy and counter-terrorism and works to ensure visible, responsive and accountable policing in the UK.

The Council for International Education (UKCISA) 
Founded in 1968, UKCISA is an independent organisation that seeks to protect the interests of students from the UK wishing to study abroad as well as the interests of overseas students wishing to study in the UK. The UKCISA website provides information sheets for students who wish to work in the UK during their studies or after their studies. Students are also able to telephone the UKCISA Advice Line on 020 7788 9214. It is open from 1300 to 1600 hours Monday to Friday.  
Information on immigration and visas for the UK and other countries.

International Student Support  
Advice and guidance on a range of student issues.

Keele Students' Union ASK Centre
The ASK Centre Advisers are qualified to give immigration and visa advice. They are members of UKCISA which means they have access to a variety of resources and information.

Further information

Some additional websites:

For general information on your options as a student.

UK Trade and Investment
A government organisation supporting companies in the UK trading internationally and overseas organisations trading in the UK.

Jobcentre Plus  
Information on job opportunities.

China - Britain Business Council
Information for businesses but contains a useful links page.

Confederation of Indian Industry

British Chamber of Commerce
Provides country and market profiles.

Immigration Law Practitioners' Association
Provides a list of immigration law practitioners.

Online Citizens Advice Bureau advice.

Graduate jobs and careers website for international students.

The Midlands International Group consists of careers representatives from 15 university careers services across the midlands working to support international students. They work together to provide the best advice, events and resources possible to help you as an international student. Visit the Midlands International Group website and find out about their many webinars and events you can be part of.