SEND and your business
The Smart Energy Network Demonstrator (SEND) is a platform for business to develop new energy-related products and services. Businesses local, regional and international can all benefit.
Businesses and universities are important to each other in driving the innovation the UK needs for clean growth and in tackling climate change - one of the biggest barriers to future prosperity. SEND is about developing new opportunities from the challenge.
Low carbon technologies, innovative data management systems and new energy products and services will be essential as the world acts to tackle climate change.
SEND is helping businesses to access a share of the £3billion that the Government has committed to support low carbon innovation between 2015 and 2021 through the Clean Growth Strategy and the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund.
The SEND project is helping companies research and develop these solutions. We are offering opportunities for partnership with Staffordshire-based small-to-medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), giving them a specialist graduate researcher to support the business ideas for three years. For a definition
The European Commission defines an SME based on staff headcount and either turnover or balance sheet total:
|Company category||Staff headcount||Turnover||Balance sheet total|
|Medium-sized||< 250||≤ €50m||≤ €43m|
|Small||< 50||≤ €10m||≤ €10m|
|Micro||< 10||≤ €2m||≤ €2m|
Businesses that are already working with the University as part of SEND are benefiting from:
- plugging into SEND’s pre-eminent position as the European leader in at-scale smart energy network demonstration;
- getting research support from Keele University (or another top university partner) to harness the skills and expertise of academic experts'
- placement of a specialist researcher for three months at no salary cost to the company;
- exclusive access to Open Innovation and networking events with industry leaders on smart energy, generation, networks and systems.
There are two RD&I programmes that are currently available:
- 16 x three-year projects
- Please note: THIS PROGRAMME IS NOW FULL
- 25 x three-month projects
- This programme is still open and we are recruiting companies.
SEND is currently looking to secure the 25 three-month projects with Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire SMEs who are looking to research and develop products and solutions that can contribute to the UK Renewable Energy Road Map.
If you are a Stoke-on-Trent or Staffordshire SME and think that this might be for you, please contact Julian Read, SEND Business Engagement Manager, on Julian.Read@keele.ac.uk or 01782 733121 for further details.