Information, prevention and support

Hate crime

Hate incidents can feel like crimes to those who suffer them and often escalate to crimes or tension in a community.

Hate crime is defined as any criminal offence committed against a person or their property that is motivated by hatred of someone because of their:

  • Race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origin (including antisemitism)
  • Religion or belief
  • Gender or sexual identity
  • Sexual orientation
  • Disability (including disability due to mental health)
  • Age

Hate crime can take many forms and can include physical attacks, damage to property, theft, offensive graffiti, threats, intimidation and bullying. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

When reporting the incident or crime, make it clear that you think it was motivated by hatred of a particular group e.g. race, religion, disability.

If you are a victim:
  • Get help immediately.

  • In an emergency dial 999 or 112, or contact campus security +44(0)1782 733 004

  • Make as much noise as you can to alert people.

  • As soon as you can, go somewhere you know is safe.

  • If you have been attacked, don't shower or change your clothes as it may destroy evidence.

  • If you have the confidence, tell the police why you think you were attacked.

  • If you have had your keys taken, ensure you change the locks.

  • Don’t drink alcohol – you need to give a clear account of what happened.

  • Use other reporting systems to report the incident if you do not have the confidence to tell the police.

  • If you want to stay anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

If you are a witness:
  • Call 999 or 112

  • Let the police know what you've seen. Don't assume others will come forward. Many crucial witnesses walk away thinking someone else will report it.

  • Stay alert and safe.

  • Don’t physically intervene – you could get hurt yourself.

  • If it is safe to do so, take a photograph or video on your mobile phone. Remember, however, that the police are likely to need your phone as evidence.

  • Record details of times, number plates, descriptions and so on. If you don't have a pen with you, leave a voicemail message on your mobile phone or write a draft text message. As soon as you can find a pen and paper, write down the information in as much detail as possible.

  • If you want to stay anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

There are a number of other places you can report hate crime:

To the University:

Please contact the Student Services Centre to report incidents of bullying and hate crime and receive advice and support about your options from an adviser. 

If you'd like to make an anonymous report to the University as a staff or student you can use the online anonymous reporting tool. 

To the Students’ Union, ASK:

ASK provides independent, confidential and accessible advice and support to Keele students.

To Challenge North Staffs:

You could also report Hate Crime to an organisation like Challenge North Staffs which aims to promote the reporting of Hate Crime in the North Staffordshire area.You can report an incident by completing the form available on their website in the incident report section, or you can contact them by texting 'Hate' + your message to 07537414477 (standard message rate) or telephoning 0330 1111 999 (standard local rates apply). You can also text or call Challenge North Staffs if you require information or advice.

If you report that you are a victim of hate crime which involves violence then this is a serious incident which can only be investigated by the police. Nothing will happen if you report anything to the University without your permission. Any disclosures will be kept confidential until you feel you are able to make a decision about whether to report an incident to the police, or to another appropriate authority.

Once you’ve reported a crime to the police you should hear from Victim Support. They help with practical things such as broken locks or can simply provide someone to talk to. If someone ends up being charged, you should hear from your local Witness Care Unit. It’s their job to support you while the case is ongoing and they’ll be able to answer any questions you have.

For other reports of hate incidents, such as statements made against someone’s race or religion, you contact the Student Services Centre to report such incidents and an adviser will be able to talk through your options.

If you have reported the incident to the police and there is an ongoing police investigation the University will not be able to commence its own investigation until the police investigation has been formally concluded.

Useful contacts

There is lots of support available at Keele to support students who have been a victim of hate crime. Please contact the Student Services Centre for more information. 

There are also a number of external organisations who can offer specific support for anyone who has been a victim of hate crime: