Request your personal information

To make a Subject Access Request (SAR) under the Data Protection Act.

You have the right to get a copy of the information that is held about you. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).

From 25 May 2018 there will be no charge for making such a request, unless it is determined to be "manifestly unfounded or excessive", in which case a “reasonable fee” to cover the administrative costs of complying with the request may be charged.

It is important to remember that there are “exemptions” within the Act which may allow the University to refuse to comply with your SAR in certain circumstances.

How to make a Subject Access Request (SAR)

Students or staff who wish to request information that the University holds on them can submit a formal Data Subject Access Request by completing the Data Subject Access Request Form or CCTV Data Request Form and submitting via email to or, alternatively, by post to:

Data Protection Officer
Legal & Governance Team
Student and Academic Services
Tawney Building
Keele University

Releasing Data To Parents and Third Parties

The University regularly receives enquiries from parents, relatives, landlords, friends and other third parties regarding students. However, the University’s ‘contract’ is with the student and we are not obliged to release information to parents or any other third parties. In most cases the law (Data Protection Act 2018) strictly prevents us from disclosing information, even if the third party is contributing significantly to tuition fees or is the sponsoring employer of a student on a professionally accredited course.

The Data Protection Act protects individuals’ rights with regards to their personal data, regulating the information that can be held, how it is processed and to whom it can be disclosed. All members of staff and students are obliged to abide by the Data Protection Act and agree to do so upon registering with the University as a student or signing a contract of employment. Breaching the Act is a disciplinary offence for both staff and students under the provisions of Regulation 21.4.

The University’s registration under the Act outlines the main ways in which the University will process a student’s personal data. Normally, personal data will only be disclosed to third parties if the disclosure is the purpose for which the data was collected and provided the data subject is aware or would reasonably expect the release.

What can the University tell a parent or a third party?

Confirming/denying that an individual is a student here would infringe the DPA and may in extreme circumstances result in placing an individual in danger. However, we do understand that parents may be concerned about their son/daughter and will happily discuss University procedures, for example, explaining examination procedures, the graduation ceremony timetable, discussing the implications of failing a module, accommodation costs etc. The specific circumstances of an individual student cannot be discussed without the explicit written consent of that student.

In some circumstances you may have major concerns (e.g. have not heard from your son/daughter for months), in these cases if you leave contact details/correspondence with us, should the individual be a student here, we will endeavour to pass them on and encourage the student to make contact. If the individual is not a student the details will be securely destroyed.

There may be occasional, exceptional circumstances (e.g. when a student’s life or health is threatened) in which the usual need to get consent before disclosing to parents/guardians may be waived. The University holds details of students' "next of kin" for such purposes.

If an enquirer claims to have a legal right to the information we would assume that they represent an official organisation which is fully aware of the Data Protection Act and which has its own code or procedures. We would, therefore, not expect any objection to a small delay in providing the information while we check credentials and the claimed right of access.

In the case of the Police, information may be disclosed on completion of the relevant form. Court orders should always be issued by the Court concerned. An assertion by a litigant's solicitor that data will be required is not sufficient to authorise disclosure.

Staff should not be bullied or persuaded into releasing information to an unauthorised recipient but instead explain that:

“Keele University respects the confidentiality of all personal information it holds under the Data Protection Act 2018 and as a result of this, the information you request cannot be disclosed. If you require further clarification, please contact the University’s Data Protection Manager.”

Requests from third parties should always be referred to Governance.

If a student has given us consent to discuss a certain matter with a third party then we will, of course, happily do so. Students should put the details in writing to the University's Data Protection Manager. Please note that an email or phone call will not suffice under the terms of the Act.


The University’s Data Protection Officer is Anne-Marie Long who can be contacted on the details provided below:

Student and Academic Services
Tawney Building
Keele University
Staffordshire, ST5 5BG