Politics, Philosophy, International Relations & Environment
Explore this Section
- / Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences /
- Politics, Philosophy, International Relations and Environment /
- People /
- David Scrivener
Mr David Scrivener
Brief career history
1979-86 Lecturer in International Relations, Aberdeen University
1986-87 Principal Research Officer, Arms Control and Disarmament Research Unit, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London
1988-89 Research Fellow, Centre for Defence Studies, Aberdeen University (ESRC Research Award)
1989-2007 Lecturer in International Relations, Keele University
2007- Senior Lecturer in International Relations, Keele University
Main Academic Administration Roles at Keele
Chair, Spire Curriculum Review Group (2011-2018)
Programme Director and Assessments Officer, International Relations (2003-2018)
Director of Learning and Teaching, SPIRE (2006-January 2012)
Chair, SPIRE Learning and Teaching Committee (2006-January 2012)
Member of the Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty Learning and Teaching Committee (2006-January 2012)
Member of the University Internal Quality Audit Panel (2006-2018)
Member of the University Senate (2006-09)
SPIRE Academic Conduct Officer (2006-07)
ERASMUS/Exchange Institutional Coordinator (2003-2018)
SPIRE Development Officer (1992-2002)
SPIRE QA Subject Review Coordinator for the October 2001 HEFCE Quality Assurance Subject Review of Politics and International Relations (1998-2001)
Chair or Member of the International Relations Syllabus and Planning Committees (1992-97)
Timetabling Officer for International Relations (1989-2004)
Undergraduate Admissions Officer (1989-92)
Liaison Officer with the Departments of Law, Politics, History and Economics (1989-93)
I retired in September 2018.
Having entered academia as a Sovietologist and international security specialist, my research interests gradually evolved into a new focus on the international politics of the Arctic region and international environmental cooperation to accompany a continuing interest in the area of arms control and weapons proliferation. These research interests and related scholarship are reflected in the specialised modules that I teach at Keele in addition to leading the delivery of several of the mainline lecture courses that feature in the International Relations programme at Keele.
(1) Authored Books
- SCRIVENER, D. (1987) Oil, Fish and Strategy: The USSR, Svalbard and the Barents Sea (University of Aberdeen, Centre for Defence Studies, Aberdeen Studies in Defence Economics No 27). (55 pp).
- SCRIVENER, D. (1989) Gorbachev's Murmansk Speech: Soviet Initiative and Western Response (Oslo, Norwegian Atlantic Committee). (76 pp).
- SCRIVENER, D & M. SHEEHAN (1990) Bibliography of Arms Control Verification (Aldershot, Gower). (161 pp).
- SCRIVENER, D. (1996) Environmental Cooperation in the Arctic: From Strategy to Council (Oslo, Norwegian Atlantic Committee, Security Policy Library No. 1). (35 pp).
(2) Edited Collections
- SCRIVENER, D. (Ed) (1981) Northern Waters: Resources and Security Issues. Papers and Proceedings of a Colloquium (University of Aberdeen, Centre for Defence Studies). (210 pp).
- ARCHER, C. & D.SCRIVENER (Eds) (1986) Northern Waters. Resources and Security Issues (London, Croom Helm). (190 pp).
(3) Chapters in Books
- ARCHER, A. & D. SCRIVENER (1986) Rising Stakes in the Northern Waters, Jane's Naval Review vol.5 (London, Jane's) pp. 157?65.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1988) Soviet Fisheries and Offshore Exploration in the Barents Sea, in: C. ARCHER (Ed) The Soviet Union in Northern Waters (London, Routledge) pp. 62-76.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1990a) The Warsaw Pact, in: S. WHITE (Ed) Political and Economic Encyclopaedia of the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe (London, Longman) pp. 286-94.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1990b) Arms Control, in: S. WHITE (Ed) Political and Economic Encyclopaedia of the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe (London, Longman), pp. 24?37.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1998) Political Commissar, in: J SHAFRITZ (Ed) The International Encyclopedia of Public Policy and Administration (Boulder CO, Westview Press) pp. 1706-07.
- ARCHER, C. & D. SCRIVENER (2000) International cooperation in the Arctic environment, in: NUTTALL, M. & T.V. CALLAGHAN (Eds) The Arctic: Environment, People, Policy (Amsterdam, Harwood Academic Publishers) pp 601-20.
- SCRIVENER, D. (2001) The Arctic, in FRANKLAND, E.G. & J.BARRY (eds), The International Encyclopedia of Environmental Politics (London: Routledge, 2001).
(1) Peer reviewed journals
- SCRIVENER, D. & C.ARCHER (1982-83) Conflict and cooperation in Northern Waters: frozen frontiers and resource wrangles, International Affairs, 59, pp. 58-76.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1983) The Merchant marine in Soviet naval strategy, Marine Policy, 7, pp. 18?22.
- D. SCRIVENER (1992) The Border dispute in the Barents Sea, Jane’s Intelligence Review, 4, pp. 252-5.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1992-93) The International politics of the environment (review essay), Environmental Politics, 1, pp. 280?84.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1995) Environmental cooperation in the Euro-Arctic, Environmental Politics, 4, pp. 420-7.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1998) From Ottawa to Iqaluit: towards sustainable Arctic cooperation?, Environmental Politics, 7, pp. 136-41.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1999) Arctic environmental cooperation in transition, Polar Record, 35 (192), pp. 51-58.
- SCRIVENER, D. (1999) Circumpolar cooperation to protect the Arctic environment, Current: The Journal of Maritime Education, 15, pp. 33-8.
(2) Other journal articles
- ARCHER, C. & D. SCRIVENER (1983) Nordic Security Issues, Armaments and Disarmament Information Unit Report, July-Aug 1983, pp. 4-6.
- D. SCRIVENER (1997) Arctic Cooperation: what lies ahead?, Worldwide Fund for Nature WWF Arctic Bulletin, 3, pp. 5-6.
- PIR-10041 : Introduction to International Relations (Module Coordinator, lecturer and tutor)
- PIR-10042 : Making and Shaping Foreign Policy (Module Coordinator, lecturer and tutor)
- TBA : Environmental Politics and Policy (Module Coordinator, lecturer and tutor)
- PIR-10058 : Introduction to Global Political Economy (Module Coordinator)
- PIR-20064 : International Relations of the Environment (Module Coordinator, lecturer and tutor)
- PIR-30111 : Arms Control and Disarmament (Module Coordinator and seminar leader)
- PIR-30108 : Proliferation (Module Coordinator and seminar leader)
- PIR-30112 : The Northern Dimension: Security, Resources and Environment in the Arctic (Module Coordinator and seminar leader)
- PIR-30107 : Sport in Global Politics: a Neglected Dimension (Module Coordinator)
- PIR-40111 : Environmental Diplomacy (MA) (Module Coordinator and seminar leader)
- PIR-40106 : Dimensions of Environmental Politics (MA) (member of seminar leader team)
- PIR-40082 : Global Environmental Change and its Political Consequences (MA) (member of seminar leader team)
Further information is available about studying in SPIRE, including funding available for pursuing a doctoral research degree.