Keele University Green Week 2015
Keele’s fourth annual Green Week is running Monday 16th – Friday 20th March with a range of exciting activities and events planned throughout the week. The week aims to raise awareness about environmental and social sustainability issues and encourage us all to reflect upon how different aspects of sustainability relate to our lives at Keele and at home, as well as to our subject disciplines and careers. Full details of all events can be found on the Green Week 2015 Website. Some highlights of the week include:
· Protected Planet Lecture – with UNEP’s Dr Brian Mac Sharry
· Campus Arboretum Tour – exploring the flora and fauna of Keele campus
· Blackout – a campus-wide volunteer-powered energy audit of university buildings
· St Patrick’s Day ‘Green’ Themed Blackout After Party – at the KPA
· Mindful Gardening Session – with the Student Eats Society and the Counselling and Mental Health Support Team at Keele Walled Garden
· Fossil Fuel Divestment Debate – with Keele Debate and Discussion Society, Prof Andy Dobson, Dr Nigel Cassidy, and others
· Green Film Night – at Keele SU screening ‘Wall-E’ and ‘If a Tree Falls’
· Stargazing at Keele’s Stardome
· Conservation Volunteering – at Silverdale Country Park
· And many more events…
A research study entitled ‘Perspectives on Sustainability’ will also be taking place during the week, which involves a workshop and a short online survey open to all students (undergraduate and postgraduate) and all academic/research staff. The research study aims to explore:
…how students and academic/research staff at Keele perceive the relevance of sustainability to their specific subject discipline and how they think their discipline might contribute towards building a sustainable future. It also aims to explore the extent to which students’ understanding of, and attitudes towards, sustainability issues have been influenced by their time at Keele, whether through their courses or other activities.
· The workshop is being run in partnership between Keele's Education for Sustainability (EfS) Team, Keele's Community Animation & Social Innovation Centre (CASIC) and Sue Moffat of The New Vic Theatre in Newcastle-under-Lyme, utilising a Cultural Animation methodology, which you can read more about here: http://keele.ac.uk/casic/.To take part in the workshop (Thursday 19th 11am – 1pm), which includes lunch, hot drinks and the chance to win a Blackwell's voucher, please email Rebecca Laycock: email@example.com.
· To take part in the online survey, which includes the chance to win a range of great prizes, watch out for an email in your inbox on Monday 16th March or head to the Green Week stalls in Union Square and Chancellors Building next week where you will be able to complete the survey.