Living Costs

In addition to a deposit (if renting) and rent or mortgage payments, there are a number of key expenses that all UK residents can expect to pay which are detailed in this section.

Council tax is a local tax, set by councils to help pay for local services. Each council sets the level of council tax in its own area and the amount payable depends upon the property value. It applies to all domestic properties, whether owned or rented. If you are staying in rented accommodation you should check whether council tax is included in your rental fee. If you are the only occupant of a property, you may be eligible for single occupancy discount. Further information can be found at

Current rates of council tax for the local area can be found on Newcastle under Lyme Borough Council and Stoke on Trent City Council websites.

UK residents pay for utilities (water, gas and electric). If renting you should check your tenancy agreement to see if these bills are included in your rent. Whilst some bills are fixed nationally, or by property type, others vary depending upon supplier and/or volume of usage.

The water provider for the surrounding area is Severn Trent Water. Unless you are renting a property with water bills included in the rent, you will need to contact them when you move into your property to create an account. You should take a meter reading when you move into your property and also when you leave a property. If you are living outside of the local area you can identify who your water supplier is on the Water UK website.

There are many gas and electricity suppliers in the UK. When you move into your new home there should already be electricity and (in most cases) also a gas supplier. You should take the meter readings when you first move in to your property to ensure that you only pay for the energy you use. You should also take a meter reading upon vacating a property. There are price comparator websites so you can investigate if you are getting the best deal.

It is advisable to insure your belongings against loss, theft, fire and accidental damage. It is also usual, and often a requirement of a mortgage, to have buildings insurance for property you own. Insurance policies vary considerably therefore it is often worth obtaining several quotes. In order to obtain insurance quotes you may wish to look at comparator websites such as;

Televisions automatically receive a number of channels and if you use a TV in the UK, regardless of whether you brought it with you or purchased it in the UK, you are required by law to purchase a TV licence. The same law applies if you watch live TV through another devise.

Information on when a TV licence is required, payment options including how to spread the cost can be found at TV licensing. Information is also available at - TV licence.

There are many methods to obtain a larger range of TV channels including digital boxes (PVRs), satellite and cable. Comparison websites such as uSwitch  will enable you to compare the range of packages available.

If you want a telephone (landline) and internet in your property you will be required to pay for telephone bills and for internet connection. In the case of rented accommodation, these may occasionally be included in the rental charge.

You can have the services with separate suppliers or you may favour having a package from one supplier. There are many price comparison and information websites which give details of the deals available including;