Applied & Environmental Geophysics
Explore this Section
The group has excellent facilities including
- Geophysics laboratory & store
- Excellent inventory of geophysical surveying equipment (see below)
- Access to a compute cluster (with GPGPUs) for High-Performance Computing
We are one of the best equipped Environmental Geophysics research groups in Europe. The majority of our equipment was acquired by a successful bid for SRIF funding from HEFCE in 2003.
Our equipment includes:
- 2 x Scintrex CG-5 Autograv gravimeters
- Worden gravimeter
- Sensors & Software PulseEKKO pe100 Ground Penetrating radar system with 50, 100 and 200MHz antennae and 100MHz borehole antennae.
- Sensors & Software PulseEKKO pe1000 Ground Penetrating radar system with 100, 225, 450 and 900MHz antennae.
- Sensors & Software Noggin Ground Penetrating radar system
- Campus Tigre Resistivity meter with 64 electrodes.
- Geonics EM-31 conductivity meter.
- Geoscan RM15 Resistance meter with MPX15 multiplexer and PA20 probe array.
- Geoscan RM4 Resistance meter.
- Geometrics Geode 24 channel seismograph with 24 vertical component geophones
- GEM GSMP-40 Potassium vapour magnetic gradiometer
- Geoscan FM18 Fluxgate magnetometer
- Guralp Systems CMG-DM24S12 AMS with 6 CMG-5U and 1 CMG-5TD accelerometers
- Guralp Systems CMG-6TD broadband seismometer
- Leica Geosystems System 1200 Total Station
- Leica Geosystems System 1200 Real-Time Kinematic GPS
- Bartington Instruments magnetic susceptibility meter
- Various laptops, data loggers and a tablet pc to support field operation of equipment