Remembering Emeritus Professor Peter Dickinson
It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Emeritus Professor Peter Dickinson at the age of 88 on 16th June 2023, after a short period of serious illness in hospital.
A Juilliard graduate from Lytham St Annes, Professor Dickinson was an authority on American music, from Ives and Cage to present-day composers. He was the first Chair at Keele University (1974-84) and went on to teach at Goldsmiths, in London (1991-97); he was Head of Music at the Institute of United States Studies, University of London from 1997-2004; and has lectured at many American universities.
Peter composed concertos for organ, piano and violin, as well as a vast amount of vocal music, much of it performed with his sister, Meriel Dickinson. He wrote two books about Lennox Berkeley and others on Billy Mayerl, Aaron Copland, John Cage, Lord Berners and Samuel Barber.
- Keele strikes Gold in national assessment of education
- Keele’s contributions to local growth and regeneration praised in national framework
- Post Office returns to Keele University campus for students, staff, and the public
- Anatomy services manager shortlisted in “Oscars of Higher Education”
- Research underway at Keele to help guide treatment of rare developmental disease