Health services

If you're moving away from home for university, this may be the first time that you take responsibility for your own healthcare and accessing the medical services you need. This page provides guidance on the different services available.

In case of emergency dial 999 or if it is not life threatening, call NHS 111 for advice. For general health concerns you can also contact your GP or Pharmacy.

Registering with a GP

Photo of the Keele Practice in Horwood

If you have moved to the local area to attend University, you will need to register with a local GP surgery. For students living on campus or within close proximity to Keele, you should register with the Keele Practice.

Alternatively you can find your closest GP surgery at NHS Choices.

Questions to expect

  • your name and address
  • your date of birth
  • your NHS number (if you know it)
  • other information, such as the name and address of your previous GP
  • your views on organ donation

Some GP surgeries will also ask to see proof of your identity. For example:

  • photo identity, such as your passport or driving licence
  • proof of your address, such as a recent council tax bill or utility bill (a gas, electricity, water or phone bill, but not a mobile phone bill)

International Students

If you are a student on a course that lasts for less than six months, you must ensure prior to arrival that you have adequate medical or health insurance to cover your medical expenses in the UK.  

However, if you are studying on a course that lasts longer than six months, as part of your visa application you will pay an Immigration Health Surcharge to gain access to the NHS. It costs £470 per year for a student and allows you, if you need it, to consult a doctor on any physical or mental health issue, accident and emergency services, the diagnosis of any sexually transmitted diseases and access to the Covid-19 vaccine. It also offers reduced price dental care if provided through an NHS dentist. 

Looking after your health

If you are moving away from home for the first time, take a look at further guidance from the Residence Life team about how to look after yourself while living in halls.