I want to change my course

Thinking of changing course?

If you're not enjoying your course or it isn't what you expected, in the first instance you are advised to speak with your Academic Mentor to help you understand your options and decide the best way forward.

It can sometimes be possible to change to another course at certain times of the year. However, you do need to meet the entry requirements and have or be able to pass enough core modules in the new subject.

There must also be vacancies on the course you are interested in changing to, which you can check with the Programme Director of the course you want to change to.

Students studying in-person courses: course change requests can only be approved in the first three weeks of each semester. If you choose to change course after the first three weeks, you may be asked to defer your entry to the new course to the next academic year, which could mean you will need to take a leave of absence. Your Student Experience and Support Officer will be able to provide you with support and advice on matters relating to leave of absence.

Keele Online Learners: there may be additional implications depending on whether you want to transfer between pathways in the same programme or transfer to a different subject discipline. These implications are best discussed with your Student Success Coordinator.

It may also be helpful to speak to some of the following people to inform your decision:

  • Careers consultant to consider your future employability pathways
  • Friends, family or others who know you well
  • Students on alternative courses you might be considering
  • Course tutors in the new subject you are interested in studying.

Please note, the decision to approve a course change request cannot be made by your Student Experience and Support Officer. 

How to change course

Undergraduate students: you should discuss this request with your Academic Mentor (or Student Success Coordinator for online courses) and the Programme Director of the new course. They will advise you about the entry requirements and credits you need to make this change. If they confirm that they would be able to accept you onto the course, you can then submit your request using eVision:

  • From the main menu, select 'Course/Module Details'
  • Under 'Course Information' click 'Request Course Change'
  • Complete the online form and submit

This will then go through to the Student Services Centre Customer Delivery team for processing. For more information please contact the Student Services Centre.

Foundation Year: Please note the facility to request a course change is not available in your eVision account due to the nature of your programme. You will need to speak to the Programme Director of the new course to enquire if a change can be permitted, and if so, ask that they send approval by email to student.services@keele.ac.uk for manual processing.

Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences: Please note the facility to request a course change is not available via your eVision account due to the nature of your programme. You will need to contact the Admissions team regarding the new course, to enquire if a change can be permitted. Please contact them by emailing pge.apply@keele.ac.uk.

Postgraduate taught students: you will need to speak to the Programme Director or School of the programme you wish to transfer to. If approval is granted, the relevant School will then contact Student Records to request the transfer is applied. You will not need to send a request via eVision. 

Student Records will then process this transfer request and you will receive a confirmation email advising you that your course change has been applied. 

Postgraduate research students: if you wish to be considered for transfer to PhD or MPhil/MRes status, you should consult you supervisor as soon as possible. The decision to recommend transfer will rest with the Faculty PGR Committee. Such recommendations for transfer of registration will be made to the University Research Degrees Committee.