NorStOP 1,2,3,4 (North Staffordshire Osteoarthritis Project)
|Funder name / reference number:||Medical Research Council Programme Grant (G9900220), Medical Research Council Project Grant G0501798), Arthritis Research UK Programme Grant (18174), North Staffordshire Primary Care research Consortium.|
Series of four related prospective, population-based observational cohorts.
Patients aged 50 years and over consulting in six general practices with musculoskeletal problems were assessed as part of the routine consultation using a generic assessment of prognosis and the results entered into their medical record.
The primary outcome measure is participant's global rating of change.
North Staffordshire Osteoarthritis Project (NorStOP)
Phase 1: 2002-2007 In community-dwelling adults aged 50 years and over: 1) To describe the prevalence of pain and pain interference with activities, and their relationship to age
2) To determine the course of joint pain and disability, and the factors associated with their onset and persistence
3) To describe the prevalence, distribution, and associated features of participation restriction
4) To determine the frequency of hand pain, and the patterns of pain severity, disability, other pain and health care use associated with it.
Phase 2: 2008-2011 In addition to phase 1:
1) To determine the 6-year pattern of onset, progression and recovery of joint pain (in the hand, knee, hip and foot), and associated disability, in community-dwelling adults aged 50 years and over, and
2) To describe the impact of joint pain over 6 years on the ability to do activities of daily life (lower limb-related locomotor disability, work and retirement, and self-care), and the clinical, psychological and social factors that influence this pattern.