Information on Assessments and ECs

You will access information on your teaching and assessments through the KLE directly from your Schools. Below is some guidance on how the University is responding to assessment requirements during this time.

During the academic year 2020/21, Keele will seek to avoid assessments requiring physical presence on the campus wherever possible. Where necessary, such as for assessments of practice or where required by a professional body, in situ assessments may be scheduled but you will receive early notification from your School where this is the case.

Students who are unable to undertake their assessments by the deadline should submit ECs in the normal way and request an extension or a further assessment attempt. Evidence requirements will be as set out in the University’s guidance on ECs.


Yes. If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate taught student, use the ECs system to make your School aware how you have been affected. You can ask for an extension or a further assessment attempt. The University recognises that students may be impacted in a variety of ways this academic year by the circumstances created by Covid-19. Therefore, Schools will continue to be sympathetic and fair in the way they consider such ECs.

Yes. In the current circumstances, Schools will accept a personal statement from you if you are not easily able to provide other evidence to support your claim, provided you can describe how you have sought to resolve the issue by seeking the support from your School and/or a relevant support service.

Your personal statement should be sufficiently detailed to allow your School to corroborate the dates/timeline of your circumstances with the assessment that has been impacted. Your personal statement should also that you have spoken to/corresponded with an appropriate member of staff about your situation, either to seek support or to attempt resolution. For example, for academic issues, you should raise the matter with your personal tutor or another appropriate academic (e.g. your module tutor or programme lead). For IT issues, you may have sought support from the IT helpdesk or a member of school staff. For a welfare issue, you may have been in touch with Student Services.

If your assessment is coursework, you can ask for an extension at any time up to the submission deadline. If your assessment is a time-limited ‘exam-style’ assessment, then you may be eligible for an uncapped reassessment attempt at the next opportunity, which is likely to be the next reassessment period.

If you submit an EC claim after you have submitted your assessment and your ECs are accepted by your School, the outcome depends on whether you pass or fail the module overall.

If you fail the module because of your circumstances, then you will be offered a reassessment as a first attempt (unless it is already your second, capped assessment attempt).

If you pass the module, then the mark you achieve will stand even if you have failed one component. However, the examination board may take your ECs into account if your degree classification is on the borderline between two classes and may move you into the higher category.


During the Covid-19 pandemic, a number of circumstances will be considered as valid ECs even though they may previously not have been allowed, because the pandemic has resulted in a number of unusual situations not provided for in the ECs Code of Practice. If you have had unforeseen IT hardware or connectivity issues, you are eligible to submit ECs and these will be considered by your School.

If you are experiencing ongoing IT difficulties, then it is really important that you seek support from the University in resolving them. For example, we may be able to offer you bookable study spaces with PC access on campus if you are struggling with IT or connectivity issues at home. We may also offer IT device loans and device loan/purchase from the University’s Covid-related student hardship funds. Exceptionally, if during a period of lockdown and when you are away from campus, it is not possible to restore reasonable internet access to allow you to engage with your studies and assessment for an extended period of time, it may be necessary to take a leave of absence from your studies.

More IT FAQs for students
More information on student financial support

It will depend on the type of reasonable adjustments you have in place. If you are unsure please contact DDS who will be happy to advise you.  Some students have reasonable adjustments in relation to occasional coursework extensions, in this circumstance you do not need to submit an EC, instead please speak to your School to request this and await formal confirmation that this has been granted.

Yes. If you have experienced an unexpected deterioration of your health that has had a detrimental impact on your studies, you can submit an EC. See above question regarding evidence requirements.

Yes you can submit on EC for this, however, you also need to contact DDS so that future support / adjustments can be arranged for you. See above question regarding evidence requirements.

Yes. If you have experienced an unexpected event in your personal life that has had a detrimental impact on your studies, you can submit an EC. See above question regarding evidence requirements.