Academic Professional Apprenticeship
The Academic Professional Apprenticeship at Keele University is designed to develop educators in UK Higher Education, by encouraging participants to advance and explore their academic practice.
Duration: 1 year.
Qualification: PGCert in Higher Education Teaching.
Application: We typically require applications 6 weeks before programme starts.
Academic Professional Apprenticeship Webinar
Join us on Wednesday 23 March 2022 1.30-2.30pm
You are warmly invited to our Academic Professional Apprenticeship Webinar. The session is designed to answer any questions you may have about our Academic Professional Apprenticeship, in an informal online setting.
Find out more and register here.
The Academic Professional Apprenticeship is aimed at individuals teaching and supporting learners in Higher Education. Participants should be engaged in teaching and supporting students or, have the opportunity to do so. We interpret teaching in a broad sense recognising participants could be involved in varied disciplines and contexts of student learning, including.
- Personalised, small or large group sessions.
- Teaching online or in person.
- On or off campus (including clinical settings).
- Theory or practical based sessions.
The apprenticeship enables participants to become part of a community of practice, whilst nurturing the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to succeed as an Academic Professional.
The programme is delivered through two Postgraduate modules. Each session is supported by guided online learning, set reading and syndicate group tasks.
Examples of indicative modules include.
- Teaching Reflectively in Higher Education.
- Design and Development in Higher Education.
Provisional dates for live sessions in 2022/23 (subject to change).
- Three one day events at Keele University on the 21st of September 2022, 13th of January and 10th of May 2023.
- Fortnightly Wednesday afternoon online workshops.
To complete an apprenticeship, you must be employed in an organisation with your employer's support. We typically require apprentice applications 6 weeks before programme starts and by undertaking an apprenticeship, you commit to completing the End Point Assessment (EPA).
The Academic Professional Apprenticeship typically requires.
- Participants must be engaged in 50 hours of teaching or supporting learning in UK Higher Education.
- Teaching related activity in this context may include preparation, assessment, course material development, attendance at team and programme meetings, course reviews, or any other activity relevant to teaching.
- Classroom related activity will need to consist principally of lectures, seminars and tutorials. But may also combine elements of online delivery.
- Typically hold a first degree.
- GCSE Maths and English at Grade C (4) or equivalent.
We will work in partnership with you to ensure you are supported throughout the apprenticeship process.
- Our Business Engagement Manager will provide tailored support and offer guidance on applying for an apprenticeship at Keele University, direction on eligibility and contracting, or any other questions you may have.
- This relationship does not stop once you start an apprenticeship at Keele University. We also have dedicated Work-Based Learning Officers to guide you through the apprenticeship when you are studying on one of our programmes.
- We offer a personalised approach to apprentices, ensuring you have the assistance you need from Keele University as your Training Provider, every step of the way.
Why Keele University?
Keele University is proud to offer a variety of apprenticeships across different sectors and specialisms.
Our apprenticeship approach has been praised by Ofsted (Monitoring Visit, June 2021) and we have a growing portfolio of apprenticeship programmes, based on employer needs through consultation.